View Single Post
Old 12-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #65
Sauron the White
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sauron the White has just left Hobbiton.
There is no doubt that the history of cinematic efforts in 3D films is not a stellar one which has produced excellent films. And yes, it mostly has been a gimmick niche of entertainment where the story and acting has taken a distant backseat to the eyepopping effects. However....

Jacksons company is currently working with James Cameron in developing something revolutionary for his massive AVATAR project. Cameron is leading the way for an entirely new approach to film in much the same way that both sound or color did for feature films. We will have to wait another two years to see AVATAR and judge its effectiveness as a film and to judge its effect on the industry. I see Jacksons interest in 3D along the same lines of Cameron. I would fully expect the story to be excellent, the acting to be on a par with the LOTR films, and see a multi-layered approach to story telling complexity and characterization.

Of course, this story that I posted yesterday could be bogus. We will see. The one thing that tends to ring with a bit of truth is that Jackson may see an opportunity here with THE HOBBIT that he could not garner with any other film property. It is widely assumed within the industry that THE HOBBIT is a billion dollar property. It is also widely assumed within the industry that Jackson is the only man to make it and maximize that revenue potential. This combination gives Jackson more power and latitude in making the film than in any other choice he could make.

We will see.
Sauron the White is offline   Reply With Quote