View Single Post
Old 03-22-2021, 05:34 AM   #425
Huinesoron
Overshadowed Eagle

Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Huinesoron is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
I am in need of advice on a couple points. First of all, the interlude. I'm reasonably happy with the way the first half turned out, "falling down in shadow", so to speak. But the time signature rather did get away from me, creating this weird effect when it gradually regains normal rhythm. I've thought of a way to make the transition less time-warpy, both more smooth and more abrupt, and it would shorten that section by several seconds. However, on second thought, I wonder if time-warpy is actually a good thing, in which case I could even accentuate it. What are your thoughts?
I, uh... I don't know. I think it sounds perfectly good? My music sense isn't strong enough to sense any time-warpiness, so it's definitely not over the top.

Quote:
My second question, or questions, is about the coming verses. Do you see Thingol's response as reasonable sounding, or also angry? And the Thingol-echoes. I remember you're not a fan of his echoing "What madness have I done". But what about during the stanzas? Different versions do this to a different extent. I think this is the combined max of where Thingol can join in:

[...]

This would be giving Thingol the most opportunities to add his voice. We can use all or some or none. I think it's cool when they duet, but I don't feel strongly about it.
The Redemption of Thingol Greycloak

My first read was definitely that Thingol is blithely unaware that he's done anything dumb until Hate, but looking at his verse here... I think he might be realising right between the two 'A father's love' lines. So this:

My care for my beloved child
Is stronger than for war or slaughter.
A father's love is strong and proud

Is pure self-justification, but this:

A father's love is strong and proud
But fathers do not choose their daughters

Is him realising that he done goofed. I'll try and reflect that in the singing, though stars only know how.

In which case, I think your 'combined max' works wonderfully: Thingol gets the lines recognising that Luthien is actually in love, then has a beat to think on it, and acknowledges that they're not gonna stop until they have that Silmaril.

The 'madness' echo... I still don't think I like it. I can't make it sound good in my head, but also, in this song he's just recognising that Luthien is out of his hands; Hate is where he understands that he's wrought Doom.

Quote:
And last but not least, a question about the lyrics. The trouble with singing things in half-memorized state is that I tend to fill in the blanks in memory with whatever seems right. Most of these instances I've already corrected for myself, but there is one that may be a legitimate possibility. "Your foolish words have lost the battle" - vs "your battle". Is there a preference, based on what exactly Melian is talking about?
UGGGGH I hate that line. -_- That's probably my favourite verse, lyrically, but the final line is purely there for the rhyme and meaning, not for the flow of it. So... ideas?

Your words of wrath will bring us all low
And love and faith are proven hollow
And from the deeps a bitter fire-glow
The bitter fate that from your words grows

I don't knoooooow.

Brief update from my end: I'm only one image away from finishing the Prologue, after which I can get a shiny new version of the video up. Not sure when I'll draw it, though.

hS
Huinesoron is offline   Reply With Quote