View Single Post
Old 07-08-2003, 01:48 AM   #21
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Wow, Bęthberry, what you’re suggesting is no less than a Foster’s Complete Guide to REB!! That would be an ambitious project indeed! Should Robert Foster or any of his colleagues secretly frequent the Downs, looking for a new idea, please contact me. Volunteers may queue at the door.

As I see it, Diamond’s list (and let’s hear a big round of applause for the work she did for our benefit!) is simpler than that, a tool like a bilingual dictionary, to help the writers keep track of their creative outbursts. We do attempt to have a semblance of consistency in our madness, after all! The list should be limited to direct equivalents of ME names, places and objects. However, it is not the law of the Medes and Persians; I think we should allow for some flexibility, even outright changes if there is a good reason for them.

One change I’d like to suggest is the name of our parody M-E – I woke up with the words “Muddled-Mirth“ on my mind, and that seems so appropriate to what we’re doing here! Having read too many “Why didn’t the Valar help?” discussions has prompted me to think about a name change there as well – we could use “Valium” (alternate spelling: "Valleyum", those who live in the Far Valley behind the Far Mountains, perhaps) for them rather than for their home. Please drop me a line by PM or e-mail to let me know what you think, so that we don’t clutter the discussion thread unnecessarily. If you have suggestions for improved parody names, please let me know too.

I’m now working on the first post, so look for the story to begin this week.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'