View Single Post
Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM   #133
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Yes - my mistake. I've re-checked my copies - in my 1965 First edition (& no, for the pedants out there its not a first/first, but it is the first ed. text & map) the map shows Hithaiglin, & also in my second ed. Two Towers from 1969 its Hithaiglin (as also in my 1976 paperback set - which was the first copy of LotR I bought)
Were these US or UK editions? It's my understanding that A&U made periodic corrections at the behest of JRRT and later CRT, but that the H-M 2nd ed. remained unchanged until the Doug Anderson corrections of 1987.

The Ballantines did not use CJRT's original map but rather substituted redrawings, the earlier by Barbara Remington and the later (1988 onward) by Shelly Shapiro.