View Single Post
Old 06-27-2006, 12:48 PM   #71
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
I'll leave it a mystery. No, make that, I'll leave it a Mythic Unity. Because I think that mythic unity is what I, and we, are shooting for with this. And if that creates all kinds of new questions, there's a certain thread I can refer you to.....
Hmmm. Good point; a concise summary (is there such a thing?) of Mythic Unity might be a good thing to add here as a reference. I'm not as sure that I'm shooting (personally) for mythic unity-- am I? I guess I could be or maybe I was without remembering-- but I do know I am shooting for Glimpses Of The Divine; and that, I suspect, means that the mythic unities will show themselves whether I plan it or not. So far, so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
... let the story live. Don't try to analyze it to death. You run the risk of killing the story.
Formendacil, Tolkien analyzed some things, true; but there were other things he was content to leave a mystery; like Lembas itself, if I recall.

Swamp-lembas-- hmmm. Theoretically, Lembas was made by the Lady of Lorien who alone had the true recipe. So any lembas that Tharonwe might concoct would be (a) insufficient (b) a fruit of pride and rebellion and (c) probably something that tastes good but turns sour, if not in the stomach, then in the soul. (Think Turkish Delight.) If we consider the Roman Rite (and Eastern and Greek etc) as primarily one where the Real Presence is taken very seriously, then Tharonwe's making unreal / less-than-real / worse-than-real swamp lembas might give us a little insight into his twisted character, and maybe a little insight into an inner longing that he himself might not admit.

......lmp, if Raefindan had had more than a day's worth of Swamp Lembas, what might have happened to him?

Last edited by mark12_30; 06-27-2006 at 01:13 PM.