View Single Post
Old 01-02-2004, 12:56 AM   #62
Teleri
Animated Skeleton

Teleri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

"A diversion" *shudders* <P>I didn't like "Go home, Sam." Because <I>my</I> Frodo from the books, would never say that. In the books Frodo is so kind, and tolerant of Gollom, that Gollom slips up and asks for the ring back. Even Sam is reminded then, that kindness is not stupidity. Actually I disliked that whole scene, and the changes it caused to Shelobs lair. I love the "sneaking" line from the book, but they didn't have to butcher the scene to put it in. The idea that Smeagol emerges almost completely there, and so tragicly ( an old weary hobbit, shrunken by the years that had carried him far beyond his time, beyond friends and kin) too, and is then smothered. That part of the book made me cry. There is so much drama there, but it is more subtle. <BR>I also hated how Sam started beating Gollom up. I would rather have had that happen in Shelob's lair. It's more effective, because all this time, Sam's been following Frodo's example, but now Frodo is in danger. In the book Sam quite clearly despises Gollom, but until Shelob's lair, he does not lose his temper. And that is what makes "If once he could go, his anger would bear him down all roads of the world pursuing, until he had him at last: Gollom." so effective. And when Sam decides not to follow him, we admire him even more. P.J. did a good job with the movie, but he couldn't put some of these subtleties in, though maybe it wasn't his fault.<BR>Well I'm afraid I 've veered a bit off topic... um... "I don't think there will be a return journey."