View Single Post
Old 08-04-2003, 10:36 PM   #184
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>(my addition-All Quiet on the Western Front) That's the movie I saw Ian Holm in. I saw it a year and a half ago, but can still somewhat remember the movie (except I can't seem to remember which World War it took place in). Though, I never did figure out which one was Ian. If anyone could tell me, I'd appreciate it (and please don't give a character name because I don't remember any names from that movie).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I saw this movie (a remake of the original unforgettable 1930 film!) long ago, and he would have been Himmelstoss, the drill sergeant (Feldwebel, I think? Can't quite remember the term) and it is from Erich Maria Remarque's book of the same name: All Quiet on the Western Front--a tale by a Frenchman from the German soldier's point of view in the Great War, aka World War I (erroneously called The War to End All Wars--ironic, huh?) . Himmelstoss is unforgettable as a character because he is harsh and unforgiving to his recruits, making them train in mud and giving them no breaks, basically an A-hole for lack of a better term; then later they meet him in the field and he is totally broken down and pitifully afraid. It is a complete turnaround. A wonderful role for Ian Holm! But he is always wonderful! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote