Old 11-18-2004, 02:28 AM   #11
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Dedicated Character - Dúnedain Woman – Lalwendë

NAME: Renedwen

RACE: Dunedain

WEAPONS: She has come into possession of her husband’s steel sword, which has a pommel set with black onyx and bands of blue enamel. This was awarded to him on reaching the rank of Lieutenant and as such was of great symbolic significance to him, something which Renedwen was keenly aware of. It is a wonderfully crafted weapon with a keen edge and the ability to be wielded lightly. Along with this, Renedwen also has his knife which he used in close combat.

APPEARANCE: As tall as any other Dunedain woman, Renedwen is average in her build, but she has a beauty which her husband was captivated by. Her hair is dark and smooth; it falls in a dark sheet across her shoulders, and often hides her brilliant blue eyes when she bows her head in greeting. This is an endearing sight to see as she appears vulnerable when she makes this movement, something which is not a trait normally associated with Renedwen’s cynical temperament. She normally wears finely made dresses while on her hands she wears golden rings, and about her neck is one golden chain bearing a blue sapphire, chosen by her husband to match her eyes. This is not an old item, but was given to her on the birth of their long-awaited child.

PERSONALITY/STRENGTHS/WEAKNESSES: Renedwen is cynical by nature, and often troubled by a sense of foreboding; she worries a lot and can be quite scathing with her words. She is often suspicious and does have a temper. But in her heart, she does care; it is due to her upbringing that she has learned to hide her happier feelings. Her hidden strength lies in the fighting and riding skills which she was taught as a girl. As soon as she married, she had put these aside with a great sense of relief, but she is capable of handling herself if the need should ever arise, though she does not have the natural strength of a soldier. Her weakness is her son, who she is prepared to defend at any cost; and her realisation that for the first time, she is alone in the world with no protector, a feeling which leaves her vulnerable.

HISTORY: Renedwen was born to a highly respected Captain of the Dunedain, the fourth of five children, she had four brothers. Her father was from a long line of Captains and as befitted his high status, his house lay among those of the elite of Fornost. The household was not filled with joy; no parties were held in this home, for it was a sombre and strict household and the Captain did not approve of fripperies and childish nonsense. The Captain demanded respect from his children as much as he commanded it from his men. He was a man who maintained discipline in his home, seeing this as the best way he might express his love for his family, all of whom he loved deeply.

The Captain was not a man who felt he ought to hold back on the truth and none of the children were ever sent away from the table when he came home, full of troubled tales of the struggles he faced daily. He was a man troubled by a constant sense of dread which he could not help acting upon. He insisted that all his children, even his daughter, ought to learn skills which would stand them in readiness for whatever may come to pass, despite it being against the custom for girls to be included in such training. Renedwen was made to learn how to defend herself along with her brothers; their father took care to pass on his skills, leading them in fighting and riding lessons whenever he could. Renedwen, seeing other girls playing and having fun, hated this, and resisted her father’s teaching. She would be distracted by the sight of a bird and run to follow it, or fall to dancing when she should have been learning how to stop an attack from behind. But even when distracted, her father refused to indulge her whims and allow her to run home. Renedwen longed for the day when she could set up her own home and fill it with beautiful, frivolous things, and spend time whiling her days away in daydreams and elegance.

It was no surprise that Renedwen grew up with a cynical outlook and a hardened heart. She had spent years learning to stifle her need for fun, learning to accept the discipline of her father. She knew it was the only way to win his love and approval. She eventually inherited his sense of dread, and worries constantly troubled her mind. As she grew into a young woman her only solace was to pass through the silent halls of the King’s men in the early of the morning, a place where she could escape the troubles that plagued her by dreaming about being a fine lady. It was here that a young Dunedain officer came upon her one dawn.

He saw her dark hair coldly lit in the chill early light, and as she turned to see whose feet came near, her hair fell back from her fair face, revealing her brilliant blue eyes, and his heart leapt. In time, he was ever to be found at the Captain’s house; despite his fear of the great man‘s reputation, he was determined he should win his daughter. She eventually fell in love, but it was with his devotion, rather than his being. And her father, satisfied that this was no frivolous young man, that he would provide for and protect his child, eventually consented.

It was an easy marriage in that her husband allowed her free reign to do and say as she pleased. Only her guilt stayed her when she realised had gone too far in exploiting his weakness for her. They waited many years for a child, and her husband placated her by filling their house with the fine and elegant things she desired. He strove hard to improve his position, for her benefit, and eventually was made a Lieutenant; he was admired by his men, and though a quiet man, those above him often took notice of his efforts. They lived in the best part of the city, close to her father, who in time was retired from his active post, yet he remained an honorary Captain. She was happy, but did not outwardly display that happiness by any softening of her heart. She remained a cold and cynical woman, and grew to be proud. After twenty long years Renedwen was blessed with a son, and a change came about her. Her cold heart was thawed by the presence of the child, and though still very much a cynical woman, she carried him everywhere with her, spoiling him as much as it was possible, and if she thought of harm ever coming to him, her heart burned with anger.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Lalwendë's post:

She heard her husband before she saw him. She heard his anguished cry echoing through the great hall from where he slumped in the doorway. At first she was irritated for she had been hurriedly stowing away some of their most precious belongings, hiding items in nooks within the cellar and packing others into what bags she could find. The work was hard but some sense of foreboding told her that it was necessary. This siege had been going on for too long and she felt that it was about to break. As her husband had left the house on the previous evening he had told her not to be so foolish, wasn’t he, after all, one of those very men who had been sworn to the defence of this city? He had shaken his head in frustration as she slipped into one of her bitter moods; his gentle assurances only ever seemed to make her more resolute, even angry at times. Fretting, she had woken in the early hours and set to work sorting through the tapestries, the silver and the scrolls of parchment.

Picking up the child, who was at her side as always, she hefted him onto her hip and hurried out of the cellar. The child did not stir; he was not yet a year old and still small for his age, and a more placid babe in arms she could not have hoped to have borne. He was wrapped in a layer of soft blankets and a fur, to protect him from the chill, damp air. Frowning at what troubles her husband may have brought to the door, she entered the great hall and cast her eyes about for him. He was lying in a broken heap, in the shadows by the door. He had fallen down where he stood, clearly besieged by some great hurt and her angry frown disappeared.

“What has happened?” she cried out, rushing to his side, clutching the child even more tightly. She crouched down beside the sturdy, tall man she had been married to these past twenty years, and pushed aside his cloak, which lay across his chest, concealing something.
An arrow head was buried there; the shaft, filthy and broken, poked out from between his ribs. Black and clotted blood stained his leather jerkin. She got up hurriedly, thinking to fetch a bowl of water with which to bathe him, but her husband caught her hand before she could get away.

“No, my girl,” her husband said with broken breaths. “It is too late for that. Already I feel the foul poison...ah…I feel it taking me. Too late. Better to stay with me now.”

“Where is your mail shirt?” said Renedwen, feeling confused, for as befitted his station as a Lieutenant, he normally wore more protection than the usual boiled leather jerkin. She tried to remember if he had left the house wearing it last night, but he had indeed done so, as always. He had seemed to live in the mail shirt these past few weeks of the siege. It had given her a feeling of comfort, even complacency, that he was protected by such a valuable and rare thing.

Her husband blinked his eyes slowly and sadly, and then looked at her with a look of contrition, for he felt sure that as usual, Renedwen would soon start to scold him harshly, as was her way. “I gave it to one of my men. I…was leaving my post to come to see you, to warn you. And I could not leave my second in command man there while I walked hither to my girl, protected from danger though I was in none.” She still did not understand how the arrow had then got into his chest, if it was safe enough to come here dressed so lightly. He continued “As I came by the gates, I saw the orcs, and they saw me and did this. Listen to me; this is the end of it all here. They cannot be held back much longer”

As he stopped talking, the sounds of desperate shouting, screaming and the crashing of metal upon stone and wood drifted up towards their home. No birds sang that noon, they had long since flown away, and no children were heard laughing and singing. For weeks the youth of the city had been like this, subdued and hungry, yet at least their voices were normally heard on the street. Today there was nothing but the panicked cries of the men.

Renedwen suddenly felt a fire in her stomach. She had never been demonstrative to her husband, had never really shown him how much she loved him, yet now here he lay, his head in her lap, and his life was running away from him as fast as his blood poured into his punctured lungs. She wanted to shout and stamp and rail against the whole world that this had come to pass, but she felt that ever gentle hand on her own, staying her temper.

“This no time to vent your anger. It is our last time together. My girl, you were right, “ he said, his eyes dimming. “The hour is upon us. We have failed our wives and sons, and failed our fathers, failed your father. You must take our son now and go to find your father, for he is old and will need help to escape this place. Our city is now become a tomb, and those who do not leave will perish. You should see the enemy. The hatred…” he gave off talking for a moment, not wanting to relate to her the evil in the faces of the enemy. “When I leave you, which will be soon, for I feel the world ebbing away, you will take my sword and you will go. I shall have no memorial. I do not want one. This is the only thing I have ever asked of you.”

Tears welled up in her brilliant blue eyes, as blue as the sapphire he had given her almost a year ago, and the sight of them made her husband gasp. She never cried in front of him, a marbled queen was what he called her, a name he thought was beautiful, and she would smirk with a hint of scorn whenever he said it.

“I shall hold the thought of your eyes in my heart and leave here bravely, on this stone threshold of our own small palace,” he smiled as he thought of how proud she was of their home with its arching windows and marble floors, the rooms stuffed with all the finery that his money could buy for her; it made her happy, he knew, to be surrounded by elegant, delicate things. And then the tears welled up his won eyes and a look of concern crossed his face.

“You know you must not stay here, not even to take up our possessions. None of that matters now, only that you and our boy get out of here,” He touched his son’s head tenderly; he had his father’s grey eyes, and he loved the boy. He knew that his wife’s heart burned for her love of the child, the only seeming living person who she felt this for, and that if he impressed on her how he would be vulnerable, then she would not tarry there.
“While my eyes have the light in them, let me see you both. Let me fill my sights with this, so that my last thought is not of orcish hordes and dying men but of my girl and my son.”

She pulled the finest of all their tapestries over the body of her husband, and laid a pillow beneath his head. Before she covered his face, she kissed him tenderly, and one hot tear fell from her nose onto his closed eyes. If such tears had held the power to revive then he would have awoken with a start, as they were infused with her sorrow; but this was no story, it was all too real.

Taking up her husband’s knife, she cut two locks of his dark hair and stowed them carefully in a little bag at her waist; she would later bind them into bracelets of remembrance for herself and their son. Finally covering his face with the tapestry she took up what little she had the heart to take, a bag of grain, blankets for the child and her husband’s sword and knife. Blind with tears, she left their home, locking the door behind her. Dimly she heard the now frantic cries of the men defending the city, and only vaguely did she notice the other people running to mobilise for evacuation, children grasped firmly by the hand, shouting in panic.

Pushing through the growing crowd, she found her way to her father’s house. The doors were closed and there seemed to be no sign of life within. Running to the lofty arched doorway, she pushed on the latch and went inside. The great hall was in darkness and it took her some time to adjust to this. It was not unusual, as the Captain often closed his doors and windows to the world; it usually signified he had a bad feeling about something, that he felt threatened.

“I knew you would come here,” the deep, elderly voice echoed from the back of the hall. “At the end of it all, I knew my daughter would come here.”

The Captain, tall but now thin and weakened by advanced age, sat imposingly on the settle, facing the door. His noble face was resolute and grim with foreboding. He could not see the face of who had entered, as the light coming from the opened door temporarily blinded his eyes, but he well knew the shape and movements of his own daughter. He wore his mail shirt, and his weapons were held ready at his side. Renedwen’s mother, old and frail, lay on the seat beside him, her head in his lap and her eyes dull. His hand lay on her head, smoothing her white hair. Nothing had been made ready for evacuation.

Renedwen ran towards her parents, all her tears spent, and her face reddened with the grief she was enduring. She sat down on the other side of her father, who briefly turned towards her and touched the head of the child with tenderness.

“You are going to ask me to leave,” he said. “But I shall not. I may be too aged to join the ranks out there, but I will not give up our home so lightly. Not if it is the last thing I do.”

“The last that we shall do…” her mother said sadly, but with a hint of determination. She too reached out to the child, and she smiled. Pulling herself up, she motioned for Renedwen to pass him to her, and she took him in her arms gently.

“Can you not hear the screams? It is time we left here. You know this,” said Renedwen, fear in her eyes. “He is gone. He is dead. I am alone but for who I have here. You must come with me now, it was his dying wish”.

Her father shook his head. “You are your father’s child. You knew it would come to this all along. You know I felt the same. Even now, your brothers are out there fighting, but they will never see an end to it. Not for them the quiet years of retirement that I have enjoyed. And who knows even now they may be walking in a greener place with your husband. But I am now content. My daughter is come at least.”

Again Renedwen pleaded with him, but he shook his head. He smiled at last, something which she had rarely seen from her solemn father. “You are yet young, and you have the hope of the child. I will not go. But you should.”

Renedwen looked to her mother, but she too shook her head. She was as resolute as her father, and would stay with him whatever he wanted. “I know not what will become of any of us, but you should take this little one and keep him safe.” she said.

The cries outside grew louder and seemed close to the house. Her father, with a grim look on his face, stood up, and gripped the hilt of his sword, ready for whatever may come. He looked at his daughter seriously, and bade her to stand up. Taking her into his arms, he held her tight for a moment, and she thought she felt a tear land on her face, but as they drew back, she could not be sure if he had finally given in to some hidden feeling and allowed himself to weep. His face was as serious as ever.

Motioning to her mother, he finally took his wife, daughter and grandchild in his arms. “We will not forget each other, and one day, on a green field, we shall all meet again. The days will be happier. The time of this city is over, and you know I cannot abandon it. But you must go. Go and seek what life you can beyond these walls.”

He had drawn closer to the door as he had taken them in his arms, and now he walked towards it with them. As he opened it, once again the afternoon light flooded in, bathing their faces in a warm glow. Renedwen turned once more to her parents, filled with dark panic that her child was in grave danger, yet needing this last moment before she turned and left them to their fate.

Last edited by piosenniel; 11-28-2004 at 05:11 PM.