View Single Post
Old 08-12-2003, 10:10 PM   #79
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Nurumaiel,

I read X-Phial's suggestion, went away to scribble out a reply, and then came back to post. But you've already put your finger on the problem.

As long as we maintain the present three-tier system, I don't think a centralized proposal board would work. Whatever credentials you adopt, the present ones or others, you'll have some people authorized to play in the Shire, while others will also have their names on the Rohan list or even be qualified as a founder in Gondor.

Let's say the board felt that the planning thread for Corsairs and Corsets was of such complexity and depth that the game qualified for placement in Rohan. What would happen to the many posters and founders on the planning thread who worked long and hard, but who weren't on the Rohan list? (You could have a similar situation with dedicated characters listed on an application even without a planning thread.)

It wouldn't be fair to catapault a game forward and leave those people behind. It also wouldn't be fair to "promote" someone permanently to the next level (or even two levels up) merely on the basis of a single RPG proposal. Whatever requirements are applied, they should look at a person's entire contribution.

And if you simply let games fall where they may according to the reviewers, and grant "temporary" promotions to whichever posters happen to be listed on the proposal, there's really no reason to keep a three-tier system at all.

There's another problem. Many game founders on the Rohan list have chosen to submit a proposal to the Shire. This happens frequently; of the 18 current and past game founders in the Shire, 8 (almost half) were on the Rohan list and might have submitted a proposal there.

I would guess some of these individuals wanted to game with friends who might not be on the Rohan list. Again, I would not want a centralized board to take away that option and require a person to go forward with a game to Rohan if that truly wasn't that individual's choice.

Having said that, I do think Sophia and others have pointed to some important issues. I am speaking here only as an individual rather than a mod. There are already discussions under way about trying to encourage Rohan posters to come forward with more game proposals.

Before we get into any questions of changing the system or the rules, I personally feel our first obligation should be to those individuals who have met the current requirements for promotion to the next forum, or will meet those requirements in the next month or so.

Bethberry would be the one who can and should determine those on the Rohan list. I do know that this is something she's giving thought to with help from those of us who primarily work in the Shire.

In a sense all of us have been caught in the summer doldrums. The new rules were put into effect right before vacations started so implementing them has gone slower than expected. Hopefully, the process of review and discussion will speed up now that most of the mods and posters have unpacked their bags and settled down to business again.

Again, thanks for the ideas. Don't hesitate to list more suggestions here or write us individually (at least after we get our pms fixed!).

Cami

[ August 13, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]