View Single Post
Old 04-06-2008, 03:46 PM   #157
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Erebemlin's eyes were locked on the woman with bright hair. She sat unmoving, her face bent towards the ground. Golden light filled the hair that cloaked her back, her shoulders, her face; the breeze stirred it; Nimrodel did not move.

Erebemlin turned to his king, and together they drew near to her. Nethwador followed some paces behind, but stopped before they reached her. Mellonin hung back. Avarien still felt the sting of her name, and rested in Amroth's thanks, expecting none from her mistress.

Erebemlin listened for the voice of Nimrodel, but she was silent. Beside him he heard the king calling her, again and again; but she did not respond. They drew nearer, and Amroth walked past Nimrodel and turned, to face her. He knelt before her, and took her shoulders in his hands.

Erebemlin trembled as he stepped also to her side, and his tears fell. Her hair that had seemed golden in the sun was as white as snow. She was not bent, as he had thought, to study the ground; she was bent with age. Her hands were gnarled and crooked, and her skin as faded as fallen leaves. She trembled, not with joy, but with weakness. She scarcely seemed to know they were there. Amroth raised his hands to her face, and tried to raise her face to meet his eyes.

Her lips were withered, dry and cracked. Her skin, wizened, hung in folds about her face and neck. Her eyes were lifeless, and now Erebemlin wept in earnest. Almost he turned to his king for comfort. But as he recoiled from the thought, to his surprise, the king gave him the comfort he desired. The fire in Amroth's eyes burned through his tears even as his fever shone through his glistening face and neck.

Courage, Erebemlin. If ever I needed your strength, aid me now.

Stunned, Erebemlin offered himself like a waterfall.

My good Erebemlin, you have never faltered. Bear her to the waters' edge.

The king stepped back, and Erebemlin lifted Nimrodel like a feather.

Ravion, standing beside Mellonin, wondered whether the wasted king would reach the waters' edge. The king did not pause on the bank, but waded into the icy mountain pool, turned, and held out his arms.

"Bring her to me."

Erebemlin hesitated for one heartbeat, and then followed him into the pool.

Last edited by mark12_30; 04-06-2008 at 04:12 PM.