View Single Post
Old 04-30-2018, 01:55 PM   #27
Galin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Galin is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
And I think Galin was refering to the follwoing sentence in the entrance about 'yrch' (page 53): Which sound rather like Celebrimbor founding the realm of Eregion.
I agree. And yep, that's one of the passages in my larger argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by Findegil View Post
My assumption that Galadriel and Celeborn could be Lord and Lady of Eregion for a time is based on the entrance for 'Celebrimbor' (page 42):

Why specify any time in which he was the ruler, if there had not been any others?
I see your point, but one answer might be: I note that Tolkien refers to Appendix B, page 364, directly after this WPP description in question, but at this time, Appendix B does not note the ruler of Eregion here, not in the description preceding the entries (page 363), nor in the entries themselves. So in my opinion the emphasis could rather be on the new information that Celebrimbor was lord/ruler at this time, rather than the time itself (though an important time in any case).

And so, for the later second edition, Tolkien adds (to the description about the Noldor going to Eregion and mithril and so on) "simply" that: "Celebrimbor was Lord of Eregion and the greatest of their craftsman; he was descended from Feanor."

For me anyway, this addition, author-published, carries a lot of weight. And from this I see no reason to think that anyone else ruled Eregion. In my opinion, with a change of wording JRRT could have here (Appendix B, second edition) tantalizing "left room" for the "Galadriel/Celeborn" tale published in Unfinished Tales ... although I realize too, one could argue that mere brevity (here) might allow it. I argue, rather, that JRRT revised the CG&C version (suggested in WPP I think), and so for the second edition Lord of the Rings, simply told the reader that the Celebrimbor found in the entries (first edition), was indeed the Lord of Eregion, and a descendant of Feanor.

This isn't the only reason why I think Galadriel as co-founder/original co-ruler of Eregion was abandoned, but again I realize my approach doesn't necessarily always fit with the guidelines of this project.
Galin is offline   Reply With Quote