View Single Post
Old 02-23-2003, 07:51 PM   #92
Dininziliel
Wight

Dininziliel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
I don't think he chose the smaller good in his mind. He chose the greater good that he could see. The only other choice would be to set the Ring in the hands of the enemy, via a Hobbit named Frodo. Personally I choose to define it as denial because he was seemingly oblivious to the Council's proclamations and his own better judgement.
Yes, well said!

Quote:
Scribe: Master, why do you call evil a mystery after defining it so masterfully?

Saint Thomas Aquinas: Because evil belongs to man.
Oh, very well done! Thank you.

The world in a grain of sand. Lovely. Evil, but lovely! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

There is one aspect of addiction that is very relevant to this discussion but has not been mentioned yet.

Addicts/alcoholics get stuck on the habitrail of More. Gottagetit, gotta get more, gottagetit now.

I may be in the fog on this, but the notion of More doesn't seem to be a factor in either behavior or attitude. It is as mere possession of the Ring is sufficient. Gollum, Bilbo, Frodo didn't go trying to score more rings or to more of a high off the Ring--they simply became progressively lost and consumed within its consciousness. I am thinking that could lead to delineating the defining factor between evil itself and the things it makes/uses.

Whatcha think?