View Single Post
Old 03-08-2003, 07:38 AM   #118
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry if I am addressing something from far back in the thread. I haven't checked back here in a while.

Quote:
Here's a question, did Frodo come up with the idea to give the ring to Galadriel, or did the ring influence him to do this? Frodo might have done it to rid himself of the burden or to give it to someone wiser thinking it would be better off in their hands (or on her finger). And the ring might have done this to have someone powerful take it (the ring) so it could corrupt her and make it easier for Sauron to pinpoint where the ring was, and easier for Sauron to get it back, and to prevent it from being destroyed. Or was it both?
This is interesting to ponder in view of Sauron’s plans to attack Lothlorien & Rivendell first (UT). Galadriel must have had a certain amount of aniexty regarding the prospect. I’m wondering if after she came in contact with Boromir she saw the folly in pursuing the ring as an advantage in the upcoming war. (Or saw perhaps evidence of the corrupting influence it had.) At any rate, the character did show quite a bit of self-control, as did Gandalf!