View Single Post
Old 11-24-2007, 12:27 PM   #124
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Roy felt that if he allowed himself to sleep, it could be his final sleep. Maybe that would be best. He exhaled.

He sat up, feeling lighter than he had in a long, long time. He looked at Indil; she was looking calmly down at the figure that lay on the bed, rubbing its hand. Roy stood and looked down at the figure. It was his own body. Now what?

"Am I dead?"
No.
"Are you here too then?"
Of course.
"Why am I here?"
I have been waiting for you to ask.
"I didn't think you were here."
Do not lie.
"I forgot about you."
That is closer to the truth.
"I did not want to think of you." He knew it was true, and bowed his head. "I'm sorry."
I forgive you. You are here to defeat the enemy.
"Who is the enemy?" As soon as he had spoken Roy knew it was Tharonwë, and turned to look at him; he had moved to the bedside and was studying Indil's mind, trying to probe his own. Roy saw that Tharonwë was sure that he was not dead, and exasperated that his mind was beyond the Elf's reach. "How do I defeat him?"
I will show you.
"Just like it used to be," Roy said with a smile.
Yes.
"What about my sickness?"
It is the same as always.
Roy nodded as memories of his life in the future came flooding back as they had not until then. He realized that he had been holding them off, not wanting to remember. He almost rationalized that he had not wanted to remember because then Tharonwë could ransack his thoughts; but he acknowledged to himself that he had not wanted to remember the future (his own past) because he had become too enamored of this place and time. Now he was sure of his purpose, and his loves realigned.

He laid himself back down on the bed, knew again his own flesh,
opened his eyes, and stared straight into the eyes of Tharonwë. The two strove with each other, even as Roy's lungs cleared a little more with each deeper breath. The Elf's will was strong as he strove to gain entrance again to Roy's mind; but all Roy needed to do for now was to hold him off. More scrimmages would occur later, but he knew this was one he would win.

The moment that thought had crystalized in his mind, the Elf broke off and staggered away. Roy sat up and looked to the shivering little one. He picked her up in his arms and held her close.

"It's good to see you again, Angela," he said.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 11-24-2007 at 12:30 PM.