View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 04:10 AM   #165
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

She came on deck, and saw Mithadan speaking with Faramir, who seemed quite perplexed.

Drawing nearer, she heard the Prince of Ithilien question Mithadan: 'Ulmo? Gondolin? And who is Angara?'

She placed her hand on Mithadan's arm and asked him if he might introduce her to the guest. He did, most courteously, and then pleasantries aside, she asked them what they had been speaking of, discerning that Faramir had no idea what the dragon's clues pointed to, much less that Angara was a dragon.

'You mustn't mind Lord Mithadan's ramblings. He often thinks out loud, starting in the midst of a subject, much to our confusion. We've learned to wait until he has turned his thoughts over several times in different ways. it is then that the true clarity of his thinking comes through.'

Pio went on to explain in full the purpose of their journey to Minas Anor, what they hoped to find out about the history of the hobbits, and the clues that Angara had left for them. She could see the light of understanding dawn in his eyes, and he shook his head assent.

'A Dragon!, my Lady' he exclaimed at her explanation of who Angara was. 'Indeed, that is beyond my comprehension.' His eyes widened in delight mixed with some apprehension, as Pio called down Angara from the Mast to meet the Lord of Emyn Arnen.

The Wyrm and the Steward took an instant liking to each other. Angara was as courteous and gracious as an Old One could be, and Faramir delighted in her stories of the days long gone, and especially in her storehouse of old songs.

Pio left them to their growing friendship and drew Mithadan aside. 'Where is Khelek?' she asked him. 'I thought to see him here.'

Mithadan shook his head. 'I thought to see him here, also. Perhaps he has some pressing business that makes him late.'

'Perhaps.' she rejoined. 'But, tell me, as I came up to you and Lord Faramir, I heard you talking about Angara's clues. It seems you have them mostly figured out. Is there one that yet puzzles you?'

'It is the last one', he said. 'The clue does not go far enough --

"Lo! The sun had set and all was dark, a new light suddenly began, and a glow there was, but it was beyond the northward heights, and men marvelled, and there was a thronging of the walls and battlements. Then wonder grew to doubt as that light waxed and became redder, and doubt to dread as men saw the snow upon the mountains dyed as it were with blood. And thus it was that the fire-serpents of Melko came down upon the city."

We know that the city was sacked and destroyed in that great battle, but what does it say of the fate of the hobbits?' he asked.

'I think she meant to go further in that series of clues, but the great sadness and anger she feels at the corruption of the dragons by Morgoth stopped her. Were I to guess at what came next, it would be the story of how Tuor led the exiles from the city, and though they endured many trials and miseries, yet were they free of the dominion of Morgoth at last with the aid of Ulmo. But naught is mentioned of the hobbits in this band of wanderers, and it is in my mind that they were not as fortunate as those led by Tuor. Though, in the end, I believe that Ulmo did not abandon them, even though the earth split apart and fell from under them in the Great War of Wrath when Morgoth was thrown down and Thangorodrim broken.'

Child had drawn near during this discussion and was taking notes as the elf and man spoke.

'And what of the three islands Kali spoke about?' continued Mithadan. 'I recall Tol Morwen, where stands the Stone of the Hapless; and Himling, once Himring where the fortress of Maedhros stood; but what is the third one?'

'You recall the highlands of Dorthonion, called Taur-nu-Fuin, the forest under Nightshade when Morgoth corrupted them?, asked Pio. He nodded 'yes'. 'It is the other Western Isle, Tol Fuin, the last remnant of that region just north of Beleriand which fell under the shadow in the Dagor Bragollach, The Battle of Sudden Flame.'

'Ah! I see where this is going!' said Mithadan, rubbing his hands together, 'but if we consider what you've said to be true then what of . . .'

She laughed and stopped his further questions with a shake of her head. 'Perhaps a Man, such as yourself, can live on the sustenance of words and thoughts, but this poor elf is both hungry and thirsty. Let us join the rest of our party at the table and put aside our serious thinking for just a while.'

[ July 12, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]