View Single Post
Old 07-12-2002, 11:18 AM   #170
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

He told her he was an elf of The Wood, Eryn Lasgalen - Mirkwood as it had long been known before the Dark Tower fell. Long a student of Numenor's history, he had volunteered to aid Thranduil in what then appeared as a small research into the history of the hobbit race. The King of the Wood-elves had come upon a small reference to the disappearance of this race, soon after their awakening, in an ancient ledger in his own vast library. Pages were missing after this curious entry, but on the last ragged page was another still more enigmatic entry: We are taking them to Numenor.

As to the hobrim, he said he did not know of them until he came to Minas Anor. He had seen the sculptured wall and wondered at its meaning. But it was when he overheard Child and Rose in the library discussing something they called hobrim that he put the picture and the name together.

'As to your last two questions, Piosenniel, My intent is to bring what I have found to Thranduil. And no, I do not seek to hinder you.'

She judged the sincerity of his words to be true. No hint of darkness obscured the intent behind them.

'Let me ask two more questions of you, Khelek. First, does Thranduil expect you back directly? & second, if not, do you wish to travel with us?'

'There was no time limit set upon my research. He did not make it seem a pressing matter to him, more one of simple interest. & as to travel, where might you be going?'

She leaned toward him and spoke in a lower voice. 'We are going to Beleriand, & we mean to leave soon.'

He drew back from her, his features registering surprise. 'Beleriand?!'