View Single Post
Old 07-13-2002, 03:28 PM   #183
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Mithadan was in the galley, foraging for breakfast when she found him. His head was in one of the small cupboards, and she could hear him opening containers and humming some familiar tune, though slightly off key.

'Mithadan?', she called, 'May we speak for a moment?'

He turned, an apple secured in his teeth, and waved her toward a chair with the pot of jam he'd found. In his other hand was a thick slice of bread and the spoon for the jam.

He sat down at the small table and looked at her questioningly, busy spreading a thick layer of jam on the bread.

'I wanted to talk with you about setting sail,' she said,'either tomorrow or the day after, with the early morning tide. We're well provisioned now, the ship is in good shape, and the crew is ready. We have only to wait today to see if Khelek will be going with us, else I would recommend we sail today.'

With a small, sharp knife, he quartered the apple and offered her a slice without teeth marks. 'Tomorrow would be better, Pio, unless this departure is an emergency.' He raised his eyebrows questioningly.

'No, no emergency.' she replied, chewing on the apple slice. 'Is there something you need to do?'

'Yes, remember, we told the fresh fruit seller we would let him know a day ahead of time about delivering our order. Also, we need to tell the water-seller we need several more casks of fresh water.' He finished his bread and jam and licked his fingers with a certain satisfied grace. 'I'll take care of that directly, and we'll be ready. Anything else?'

'Has Child spoken with you yet?' she asked.

'No. Of What?'

'Idril and Tuor are leaving. They won't be going with us to Beleriand.'

'I see.' he said, and looked at her appraisingly. 'Then that must leave you in the catbird seat - not a comfortable place to be, eh?'

Not waiting for her reply, he hurried up to the deck to speak with Child and then be on his way to get the last of the provisions on board.

She rinsed the plate and spoon, put them in the dish drainer, and went looking for Bird.

[ July 13, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]