View Single Post
Old 11-24-2004, 09:22 PM   #52
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Siamak reeled. He had not seen this announcement coming, for though he had been listening, he had still been considering the High Priestess’s words to him in the garden. He knew his own expression must be a reflection of those around him, sharing their shocked expressions. There was, of course, one major difference in the way it affected him and them; that being that he was the Prince, and this monumental decision was now up to himself and his sister. He supposed he would probably be having some lengthy discussions with his sister in the very near future, a task he did not look forward to. Already he could feel the weighty burden of this choice upon himself; it was one thing to distrust this offer of alliance, but quite another to actually be the one to accept or turn it down.

He turned to his sister, curious at how she was taking the news. Though surprised, she also looked immensely satisfied. He would not be surprised if she had already made up her mind, since she was so inclined to quick thinking and hasty decision making, while he would spend a few hours making up his mind on anything of even medium importance, considering all options. Undoubtedly, she thought he could simply be cowed into following her choice - he seldom stood up to her. Not in this, though, he vowed to himself. He would not let any decision be made unless he felt it was for the best.

He noticed how quiet it was in the large hall, and realized that the nobles were probably expecting some kind of acceptance from either himself or Gjeelea. She understood this at about the same time, and spoke up before he did, which was something of a relief to him. He was not sure he could put together any comprehensible sentences at the moment.

“We will not take this burden lightly,” Gjeelea announced in her sickly-sweet voice. “And I am sure I speak for my brother in this as well. We will consider all possibilities before reaching a decision that I’m sure will benefit Pashtia in years to come.” Siamak simply nodded, having nothing to add. He wondered if she meant what she said; though she always sounded sincere and her speech was certainly proper, he had learned not to listen to closely to her. All around the room burst into amazed chatter, discussing the king’s announcement.

Siamak turned to his own table. His father was smiling at him and Gjeelea, pleased and confident in his choice to let the two of them decide. The Emissary was alternating watching the king and the siblings, a look of intrigue upon his face. Other than general surprise, Siamak had difficulty surmising the precise opinion of each of the others. To his father, he said, “I am honored that you would entrust this decision to myself and Gjeelea, though I must admit I am rather overwhelmed. You certainly threw the entire royal court through a loop, as well,” Siamak added with a grin.

“That he did,” murmured the Emissary. It seemed as if he wanted to add more, but refrained. Siamak wondered if he had missed something while talking to the High Priestess; it did not seem like the Emissary to still his tongue if he had something to say. The Emissary was now looking slightly discomfitted. Siamak could almost hear him wondering whether such a decision on the part of the king was normal in Pashtia or wise, and Siamak found it highly likely that many of the nobles were wondering about the latter themselves.

Siamak soon recognized another responsibility that this burden would entail: in addition to discussions with the princess, there would also have to be conversations with the Emissary himself. Siamak both eagerly awaited and dreaded these visits. He would be prepared, now, for the enchanting quality of the Emissary, and he would be properly wary, so that was not a concern. He was also very curious about the Western lands, and wanted to hear what the Emissary might tell about them. In fact, he should have looked forward to these meetings very much had it not been for the warning of his intuition - always there was that.

Tentatively, he asked the Emissary, “Would tomorrow afternoon be a good time to meet? I should like to know more about your proposal of alliance before making any decisions.” He figured that the afternoon would be an ideal time, because he would have time to talk to some others first, namely his sister.

“Tomorrow afternoon would be fine,” was the Emissary’s courteous reply. Siamak realized he had left his sister out of these plans, though he wasn’t sure it mattered as she would do as she liked anyhow, and he hastily added, “Gjeelea, I trust this will be a convenient time for you as well?” She nodded impatiently. “Yes, yes, fine.” Siamak dropped out of the conversation for the most part, content to listen. His thoughts were too busy jouncing around, now that he had finally wholly grasped the enormity of the choice before them. There is something... sinister about the man. They paid the gods no heed - I am not sure it bodes well. His lord wishes only for friendship with us. When you are king...