View Single Post
Old 02-14-2008, 01:33 PM   #45
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Quote:
Boromir is suppose to be this noble warrior, kingly of stature and all that implies. But Tolkien has him acting childish by throwing stones into the waters outside the walls of Moria. Then the Watcher emerges to attack the group and you are left wondering about the wisdom of such impetious actions. Jackson wisely changed that to having Pippin or Merry (do not remember which right now) throw the stones. It is a more immature action.~Sauron the White
I wouldn't say Jackson "wisely changed" that little scene. It didn't hurt anything, and worked out good for the reasons you mentioned. But Tolkien had a specific reason for making Boromir be the one to throw the stone in.

Boromir just wasn't hanging around throwing in stones, he was angry because he didn't want to go to Moria, but he was over ruled. He didn't want to be there so he took his frustration out by grabbing a stone around him and chucking it into the water.

Seems like a childish thing to do, I would say it arguably was, but that's how Boromir typically reacted when he didn't get his way. If you look at the situation he was in though, it's quite understandable. Back in Gondor he was the Captain-General, he was used to being the one to give out the orders and have people follow his orders. However, in the Fellowship we see his irritation with not being the "leader," and when he doesn't get his way he can get immature about it. Though we see his development because at the end he is the one who freely takes orders from Aragorn and asks Aragorn to go save his people.

I think a good change (and yes I will sincerely call it good change) is Jackson giving the line "Too long have you watched my sister. Too long have you haunted her steps." to Eomer and not Gandalf. In the books Gandalf is the one to say this to Grima, I think it is made more effective when it is Eowyn's brother who says it.

But, I digest and am about to go into all this discussion about which changes were good, bad, or ugly...but there are other threads for that discussion. So how about those two hobbit movies they are making?