View Single Post
Old 09-20-2015, 11:19 AM   #106
Arvegil145
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arvegil145 has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvegil145 View Post
The second question: if the "Númenórean chapters" from "The Lost Road" are to be kept, what should we do with Herendil - in my opinion, the easiest solution is to simply replace him with Isildur (or Anárion - but I see no point in that, since Anárion is not really featured that much in the rest of the writings).
Actually, the more do I look into it, the more I feel reluctant to include those chapters into the work.

1) Isildur was born in SA 3209 - and according to "Aldarion and Erendis" Aldarion was at the age of 25 fully come to manhood. Yet in the Lost Road Herendil (or Isildur if we replace him) is yet called a boy at almost 50 years of age. This cannot stand in the context of the later mythology.

2) At the time the narrative takes place, Sauron is already in Númenor, and Ar-Pharazôn is preparing his fleet (which according to the later story took place only after SA 3310) - again we have the problem of chronology. Herendil (Isildur) is said to have been but a child when Sauron came - (in SA 3261/2 according to the later outline) - yet Isildur would have been a full grown man at that time.

I could go on and on, but these are just some of the things that stand out to me as very problematic.
Arvegil145 is offline   Reply With Quote