View Single Post
Old 04-21-2003, 12:38 PM   #183
Salocin
Wight

Salocin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Part of the reason you may not have heard of Eddison is that he has been out of print for decades [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. The only way to find his books is at a library, ebay, or (how I did) through Amazon.com's used book dealers. I'd have to say he is not for everyone, but if its deep you want, you want Eddison.

I also think C.S.Lewis's Space Trilogy hasn't been mentioned enough [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]. They are AMAZING, especially That Hideous Strength. Out of the Silent Planet was a little kidish, but I liked it (I read it when I was 13).

If there are any Lewis fans out there, you may want to hear this. There is a book of his short stories, some complete, some fragments, that was published posthumerously called The Dark Tower (not to be confused with the Stephen King book by the same name). The story it is titled after is a really intriging fragment Lewis wrote about a chromographer; a progector that is supposed to progect images from the same place in space but a different time. It wasn't developed enough to have a deffenite main character, but Ransom and Lewis himself have staring roles. Chronologically it was supposed to take place between Silent Planet and Perelandra, about the time when Ransom was taking Lewis into his confidence. In it Lewis takes a very unorthodox stance and investigates what it would be like with 3 dimentions of space and 2 of time. Absolutely fasinating.