View Single Post
Old 03-22-2002, 07:16 AM   #3
Amarinth
Wight

Amarinth has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

i'm both a book and a movie person, though the two don't normally fit together. when books have been made into films i normally tend to dislike the film rendition or find both film and book appealing in different ways. this was the case for me for "the english patient" for example; i found the book lyrical, almost magical, and the movie realistic and intense.<P>i find that after watching the film, there is more color and depth, even intensity, in my own mental imagery of the places and characters of middle-earth, and i do picture the cast as the characters too. but there ends the vergence. after that, i find the book altering the movie-modified imageries, such as a brighter, more dreamy movie lorien, with complete book dialogue and events, or a stouter smaller-eyed elijah wood travelling in ease towards bywater. i guess if i hadn't been an lotr fan for ages the book would have less control, but as steepened as you and i are in this lore, well...<P>---------------------------------------------<BR><I>every man's life is a path to the truth -- hesse</I>