View Single Post
Old 12-15-2012, 02:22 PM   #128
elbenprincess
Haunting Spirit

elbenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
We know this, because Tolkien called Feanor the mightiest of the Noldor. Galadriel on the other hand is never called the mightiest of the Noldor.
Thatīs right she is never called the mightiest of the Noldor, but it is strongly implied. In what else should she be his equal then? Proabaly Tolkien just donīt got arond saying she was with Feanor the mightiest or thought that the "greatest" term says it all.

Quote:
He spoke and learned from people she would never speak to again? How could she possibly no more about Gondolin or the Edain than Elrond? Or even the sons of Feanor, who fostered him?
"How could she possibly no more about Gondolin" maybe becasue she visited?!!? There is no prove and even if she didnīt visit, King of Gondolin was her cousin, so one could assume that she knew alot abot it.

Galadriel spoke to people Elrond never spoke to, the Valar and that surely leaves a deeper mark than Elrond talking with some men.

Iīm pretty sure she knew the sons of Feanor very well, growing up with them.

Quote:
Knowledge of the future was Elrond's specialty due to his divine blood.
Quote please.

Quote:
So as we can see seeing the future and foresight are linked and Elrond once again is singled out above the others.
Where is it stated?

Quote:
You completely disregard Galadriel's talents.
Oh I so much agree.

Quote:
Cirdan's foresight of the future was unmatched by all in Middle Earth and the close was Elrond. Elrond himself had greater foresight than others since he was a descendant of Melian.
I agree with Cirdan but I really donīt know what makes you think that Elrond has this power. Where is it stated or implied? Only being a decendant of Melian does not make you stronger than other elves (if we leave Luthien out). Elwing and Dior obviosly were not more mighty, same goes with Arwen and the twins.

Quote:
I will provde several quotes showing why Elrond was not counted one of the Eldar
I can show you a quote that he was counted as one of the Eldar!

Quote:
When Tolkien was finishing his Lord of the Rings in the early 1950s he fell back again on his manuscript of the Quenta Silmarillion of the 1930s. In the last version of this text “Elrond Halfelven” finally decides – “as was grantet to him” – (HoMe V, p. 332) to be counted among the Eldar while Elros decides to be counted among men.
It was so hard to find it.

Quote:
I will provide the essay where Tolkien retracts what he says and speaks of only 2 marriages between men and the Eldar.
Wow, that would be really new to me.

Quote:
When Tolkien writes of the Eldar, he leaves Elrond seperate.
Well, I never saw him writing: The elves of the third age and Elrond half-elven. Itīs just always the elves or Eldar.

One example:
Quote:
But the promise made to the eldar (the high elves – not to other varieties, they had log before made their irrevocable choice, preferring ME to paradise) for their sufferings in the struggle with the prime dark lord had still to be fullifield: that they should always be able to leave M E, if they wished and pass over sea to the true west, by the straight road and so come to eressea.
I would gues that Elrond could go too, but he didnīt wrote "The promise made to the Eldar and the Peredhil..." so Tolkien is talking in generel in these aspeks and even if he really wants to avoid calling him an elf, in this matter it is correct, cause this Peredhil belongs to the elves.

Quote:
What she observed from the Fellowship could easily be guessed. Sam dreamt of going home and having a nice garden, becoming the master of Bag End instead of Frodo, Boromir wanted to take the ring and become the king of Gondor, Aragorn merely wanted the Dunedain to come and help him.
"To me it seemed exceedingly strange," said Boromir. "Maybe it was only a test, and she thought to read our thoughts for her own good purpose;" Boromir

Boromir said that she was reading his mind and he shold now it.

Quote:
No one not even one of the Valar, can read mind of other equal beings: that is one cannot 'see' them or comprehend them fully and directly by simple inspection. One can deduce much of their thought, from general comparisons leading to conclusions concerning the nature and tendecies of the minds and thought, and from particular knowledge of individuals, and special circumstances. But this is no more reading and inspection of another mind than a deduction of a closed room, or events taken place out of sight.
It seems Tolkiens proved himself otherwise or he just changed his mind on this matter.

Quote:
And with that word she held them with her eyes, and in silence looked searchingly at each of them in turn. None save Legolas and Aragorn could long endure her glance. Sam quickly blushed and hung his head.

At length the Lady Galadriel released them from her eyes, and she smiled. 'Do not let your hearts be troubled,' she said. 'Tonight you shall sleep in peace.' Then they sighed and felt suddenly weary, as those who have been questioned long and deeply, though no words had been spoken openly.
'If you want to know, I felt as if I hadn't got nothing on, and I didn't like it. She seemed to be looking inside me and asking me what I would do if she gave me the chance of flying back home to the Shire to a nice little hole with-with a bit of garden of my own.'
There was more going on than just guessing.

Quote:
The Witch King at the Battle of the Pelennor Fields was not the same power as the Witch King as usual. He was so greatly enhanced by Sauron directly, that Gandalf the White was unsure about the winner of the outcome. The Witch King at that battle was particularly terrible.
But still he wold not be able to conquer Lothlorien, for only Sauron in person would have the needed power to do so.

Quote:
He does go on to say that greater minds could force lesser minds to reveal certain parts of their thoughts, but this was a great evil act and would soon corrupt the user and none of the 'good' characters used it.
Iīm not saying that Galadriel did that, cause Sauron in clearly not a lesser mind, but it would be an explanation if one really sticks to the these that Galadriel read Saurons mind (which I do, cause she said so). But would it still be considered evil if the person has a good purpose? I donīt think so, if the outcome is good, it cold be seen as an exceptional case.

Quote:
certain parts of their thoughts
"Certain parts of their thoughts" would explain why she only knew ... "or all of his mind that concerns the Elves

Quote:
I generally agree with what you're saying, but not with this. I think she only "sent" Gwaihir because he allowed her to send him. It's not an authority, it's Gwaihir's helpfulness.
Yes, I did not express myself well, she has no authority. I think itīs just nice to see that Gwaihir "is working together with her in that case" regardless her past and him being an eagle of Manwe.

Last edited by elbenprincess; 12-15-2012 at 03:17 PM.
elbenprincess is offline   Reply With Quote