View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #131
cellurdur
Shade of Carn Dûm

cellurdur has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elbenprincess View Post
I never disagreed about Cirdan, but there is no prove Elrond has the greatest foresight after Cirdan just becase of that:
The quote shows that Elrond is especially held in high regard in foresight. He alone is singled out as the most surprising that Cirdan had greater foresight.

If that is not enough here is another one from Gandalf implying that Elrond has the greatest foresight.

“He is not half through yet, and to what he will come in the end not even Elrond can foretell. Not to evil, I think. He may become like a glass filled with a clear light for eyes to see that can.” -LOTR

Quote:
Again, you have not proven that Elrond is the one with the greater foresight and knowlege in lore than Galadriel, who already was a match for the loremasters in Valinor. It just says that the foresight of his kindred came to him, besides the Maiar, his kindred is also Noldor, Sindar and men.
You just have to look on their actions and you see who is inhernently more powerful.
The quote was about Aragorn and his kin were the Children of Luthien, of whom Elrond was the oldest, the greatest and the most powerful.

As for lore, this is what Tolkien had to say.

Elrond symbolises throughout the ancient wisdom, and his House represents Lore – the preservation in reverent memory of all tradition concerning the good, wise, and beautiful. It is not a scene of action but of reflection.-Letter 131
Quote:
Even if she didnīt visit or take part in some of the events, she can see everything that she wants with her mirror, how Beren meat Luthien, how Sauron lost his ring and Gondolin, how it was bilt and destroyed.
No she cannot.
Quote:
The Noldor in generel were pupil of Aule and furthermore Galadriel is said that she was pupil of Yavanna.
Elrond was instructed by Eonwe, but that is besides the point. Elrond was renown for being the greatest lore master.
Quote:
Still there must be an explanation on why Galadriel is able to see the future via her mirror, something Elrond is not able to do.
Elrond could see more of the future than Galadriel and so could Cirdan. The mirror is not something you could use at will to see whatever you wanted. Nobody knew what they would see and the visions did not always come true.
Quote:
That tells us that Arwen and Aragons union was not one of the Eldar and Edain? Arwen is a decendant of Earendil and maybe he just forgot one union, dunno makes no sense for me. Arwen is as much as an elf as Luthien, even more. I donīt know yet what he tries to tell us with the biological differneces, but why should he suddenly come to the conclusion that the Union between Arwen and Aragon was not one of the Eldar and Edain? Because Arwen was one of the Eldar!

Eldar:

The term "Eldar" is applied for those who have seen the two trees, or at least began he journey. Furthermore it seems that the elves inherented it from their ancestors. Thingol, saw the two trees and was therefore an Eldar, Luthien did not see the two tress but was also accounted Eldar, so she inherented that from her father, so Arwen would inherent being one of the Eldar not only from Thingol, but also from Galadriel.

If he is explaning to us that it is biological not possible because they are not so similar as we thought always, then Arwen and Aragon match more then the other unions (because Arwen has more mortal blood than Idril or Luthien).
In the full quote he goes on to mention Aragorn and Arwen. In fact he repeats there being only two marriages in another letter.

There are thus two marriages of mortal and elf – both later coalescing in the kindred of Earendil, represented by Elrond
the Half-elven who appears in all the stories, even The Hobbit.
-letter 131

As for biology he is actually basically saying he does not care if Elves and me should not be the same, because in his story they are.
Quote:
Where because of that?: His kindred besides the Maiar are the Noldor and Sindar too, it doesnīt say that he has greater foresight than Galadriel.
The kin was the Children of Luthien, the Blessed foremother as Tolkien calls her.
Quote:
Where is Elrond singled ot ahead of Celeborn and Galadriel? Maybe I have overseens omething, but I read no quote that indicates that.
When it says EVEN ELROND in the quote I have previously provided.
Quote:
Yes, but only because of Ulmos help, I gess he could make very elf fly if he wants.
No that was the first time, but after that she learned the tongue of birds and the ability to fly, which is a great display of her innate power.
Quote:
You have a point, I donīt have the letter for me and just saw the passage. But I think that could be a coincedence, he just points out that before leaving for Aman they have to make their choice. Arwen wasnīt even born at that time after the War of Wrath so was Elrond. Iīm sure there are simililar passages, where Tolkien doesnīt make a difference.
No there really are not. He always likes to differentiate. For instance Earendil is called the greatest of the Half-elven.

Or when he receives a letter claiming that Arwen was an elf he quickly dismisses this.

Arwen was not an elf, but one of the half-elven who abandoned her elvish rights. Galadriel
('Glittering garland') is the chief elvish woman mentioned in The Lord of the Rings; her daughter
was Celebrían ('Silver queen'). There was also Nimrodel.
-letter 345
Quote:
It doesnīt show that he would have eternal life (which he doesnīt have at all, they just have long lifespans) it shows that he Elrond Half-elven, who chose, as was granted to him, to be numbered among the Eldar

I have found this quote:
I again donīt have the compleate letter but Elrond was urged too, like Gil Galad and Celimbrimbur but they denied, and in that what I see at this point Elrond is not excluded. Like I said, the first quote was coincidence.
Where does it even remotely suggest Elrond was under the ban or urged to comeback? In fact the story implies the opposite. Elrond much like Cirdan seemed to have had a special mission to stay in Middle Earth. Elrond to ensure that men could come into their own in the fourth age. Why else would the Valar send Glorfindel to personally aid him if he was still defying their orders?
Quote:
sure Boromir was wrong on many things, but Tolkien says through Boromir that she read his thoughts. Even it itīs illegal, itīs possible.
Bt still Tolkiens said The Valar are not able to read the thoghts of other Valar, but of lesser being, like Elves or Men.

You just have to read the chapter, there is no question if she read their thoughts or not.
As I said it is not possible. Read through the book and there are several circumstances of the same thing being said about Gandalf, Aragorn and even Denethor.

That apart by equal beings, he meant all rational creatures created by Eru from Hobbits to dwarves all the way up to the Valar. I can provide the quote if you want extra proof.

Elrond in particularly was a great power that alone without any ring, was able to create and enchantment around Rivendell (along with his army) that not even Sauron with the one ring could break.

The last Elf-Kingdom of Gilgalad is maintained precariously on the extreme westshores,
where are the havens of the Ships. Elrond the Half-elven, son of Earendil, maintains a kind
of enchanted sanctuary at Imladris (in English Rivendell) on the extreme eastern margin of the
western lands.
-Letter 131

Last edited by cellurdur; 12-16-2012 at 08:00 AM.
cellurdur is offline   Reply With Quote