Thread: LotR2-TTT_Seq23
View Single Post
Old 07-23-2006, 08:47 PM   #5
alatar
Doubting Dwimmerlaik

alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.alatar is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Note that I presume the text for this scene, the speech part that is, was taken from the TTT 'The Stairs of Cirith Ungol' chapter, which we won't see until RotK. To me, Sam and Frodo do not have the same mindset as in the movie; in the books, it's more like "things looked bad for Beren too," whereas here it's more "we do it for the Shire." Gollum too is not just sad, but almost repentent - he's old, tired and friendless in a cold land. If only he had someone like Sam - or better, Frodo - at his side. The movie Gollum is sad, but I'm not exactly sure why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kath
The Nazgul being at Osgiliath does make sense though, as they are Saurons most feared servants, and it certainly makes the job of the orcs easier when their enemies are cowering in fear due to the screeches of the Wraiths.
I assume that the Eye has let them cross the river pre-battle? The Gondorians are afraid, but knowing that the Wraiths are on Wings would be a great help to them when the main force of Mordor begins the assault. One might expect Faramir to yell, "Archers!" and the Nazgul would have to fly a bit higher.

Quote:
Why does the Nazgul stop going for Frodo when the Ring is removed from right in front of it? Precisely because it is removed. The Nazgul cannot see in the real world remember, but only the wraith world, that's why we see them sniffing to begin with, they can't see it but they can sense it. When Sam tackles Frodo they fall too far away for the Nazgul to get a clear sense, and Frodo has now forgotten about the Ring.
I guess that these mounts, unlike the dark horses, cannot see. Also one arrow stops them from flying down to the hobbits and taking a bite or two. As Frodo gets all dreamy when the Wraiths appear, I assume that they call to him or that the Ring calls to the Nine. Whichever, I would then assume that the Wraith could have found Frodo easily enough.

Quote:
As to Faramir's comment about 'understanding each other', I'm not sure of it's meaning either. I suppose it could mean that in overhearing Sam's speech he has realised that the hobbits really are completely selfless, and that destroying the Ring really is the only option. And he finally shows his true colours, or quality, it's nice to see Book Faramir make an appearance.
"It all makes sense now," the Steward's son thinks, "and I should let the One Ring go East with a witless halfling that almost handed it to the enemy, his gardener and a schizophrenic punching bag."