View Single Post
Old 08-02-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I think that I can pretty much sum up this question with a single quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ring Goes South
"Even if you chose for us an elf-lord, such as Glorfindel, he could not storm the Dark Tower, nor open the Road to the Fire by the power that is in him." -Gandalf
The advantage for the Fellowship would be in secrecy, not in power, although they did have some the best warriors in Middle Earth accompanying them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansun
Would Elrond's Knowledge have helped the Company see them through their journey to Mordor without entering Moria?
Gandalf's wisdom could have rivaled that of Elrond, and unless Elrond could stop the storms of Caradhras there was no way that his knowledge would have been to any avail.

Quote:
Would Denethor have listened more to Elrond's counsel as opposed to that of Gandalf in Minas Tirith?
I think that since Gandalf actually knew Denethor, a strange elf- lord showing up on his doorstep telling him what to do would infuriate Denethor and hurt his pride more than help.

Quote:
How would the Witch King have reacted to seeing Glorfindel or Elrond instead of his encounter with Gandalf at the gate of Minas Tirith?
This question I cannot answer. Glorfindel was the only one who could openly do battle to the Witch King, and Elrond would have been as much of a match for him as Gandalf. Though the Witch King shows a great amount of arrogance in talking to Gandalf as if he was an "Old Man" on a horse. We never get to see any fighting happening, so I'm not 100% sure how it would have gone down, but I'm sure Glorfindel or Elrond couldn't do any better than Gandalf would have.

But there was no visible way that they could know of all those situations. Remember the Fellowships hope was in speed and secrecy.