View Single Post
Old 11-23-2017, 11:08 PM   #77
Michael Murry
Haunting Spirit

Michael Murry is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
A twice-enraged "purist" die-hard

I apologize if others have already covered this article ...

"Why Amazon’s Lord of the Rings Show Won’t Be the New Game of Thrones"
By Joanna Robinson, Vanity Fair (November, 2017)
https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...amazon-prequel

... But I wanted to excerpt a few comments relevant to my own, admittedly jaundiced, view of things. For example:

Quote:
Matt Galsor, a representative for the Tolkien Estate and Trust and HarperCollins, clarifies that the series will “bring to the screen previously unexplored stories based on J.R.R. Tolkien’s original writings,”*which leaves a lot of leeway for elaborate inspired-by inventions [such as] the many side stories that padded out Peter Jackson’s Hobbit trilogy. In other words, this could be a by-the-book Silmarillion-esque nerdfest, or a show sure to enrage the Tolkien die-hards as much as Jackson’s invented love story between Evangeline Lilly’s elf warrior Tauriel and Aidan Turner’s dwarf Kíli.
An "enraged Tolkien die-hard"? I resemble that remark!

Or, perhaps, I only half resemble it, since I belong to the enraged Tolkien die-hard cohort that couldn't stomach Jackson's invented love story when it first involved an Elf-chick character by the name of "Itaril" (originally scheduled for portrayal by the teenage actress Saoirse Ronan) who fell secretly in love with a "young Elf Lord," You-Know-Him, while kicking butt and taking names for the Silvan Elf King Thranduil, father of the "young Elf Lord" in question. Apparently, the author of this article completely missed the first iteration of this really lousy Elf-chick "warrior" thing and only picked up on it the second time around. Just change the name from "innocent bystander" to "collateral damage" and the killing can continue. Primitive Word-Magic works every time.

Then, we have this:

Quote:
Still, all the younger wizards and elves of Middle Earth can’t guarantee that this Lord of the Rings TV series will be the next Game of Thrones. For one thing, the HBO series started as a very faithful adaptation with a built-in audience of loyal book fans. Tolkien fans, still licking their wounds after the Hobbit trilogy, are likely to be very wary of another potentially less-than-faithful prequel.
Yeah. Still licking my wounds. Not real keen to acquire more of them.