View Single Post
Old 09-29-2002, 11:02 PM   #2
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Birdie--<P>LOL. I love it. It sounds great! <P>Just remember that Tolkien was a language person rather than an historian. And a poem like Beowulf presents a very idealized portrayal of the period in question. JRRT certainly knew that. He also loved and preferred that idealized picture rather than getting down into the dirt and digging through to find the remains of people's garbage. And I do mean the literal remains!<P>You know I have a degree in medieval English history. I personally liked the "get down and get dirty" approach. I was a social historian and also did a field in archaeology with Leslie Alcock at Cardiff. And believe me, your example of the fellow blowing his nose and then using the same bowl isn't far off. It is said that one of the reasons why Richard II lost his throne is that he had the gall to import the handkerchief and the fork from France which were both considered highly suspect! And that was the late 14th century, long after Beowulf.<P>But both these views of the period are "true": the idealization of Beowulf and the reality of peasant life. Just look at our own society. You could point to some things, and make people believe we're forging ahead with "progress" and then point to others which can leave you virtually in tears. And neither of them is a lie. Just different pieces of the same reality.<P>Sounds like I should go see that movie.<P>sharon<p>[ September 30, 2002: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]