View Single Post
Old 10-05-2002, 09:19 PM   #7
Evenstar1
Wight

Evenstar1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hi All!<P>(Note: "Eaters of the Dead" is a book by Michael Crichton (sp?). The name of the book was changed to "The 13th Warrior" for the movie.)<P>Yeah, Birdland, I saw that movie and the whole "bowl scene" was gross. It was uncomfortable for me to see that scene, except that, being familiar with Crichton's attention to plausibility (I haven't read "Eaters of the Dead," but I have read "Jurassic Park" and "Timeline" -- you'd like "Timeline," Bird!), I accepted it as something that they really would have done "back then." You know, another thing that may have triggered the JRRT/13th Warrior parallels is the whole Nordic-thing, since Tolkien was really into Norse mythology and I always felt that it resonated somewhat in Middle Earth. (More so in the Sil, but a little in LOTR...)<P>Bill Ferny, I think you're right about "PJ would have shown it, but Tolkien wouldn't have written it." Things were more refined and proper in JRRT's mythological landscape -- even out into the middle of nowhere, Sam has carried his pots and pans!<p>[ October 05, 2002: Message edited by: Evenstar1 ]