View Single Post
Old 10-08-2002, 10:39 AM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am reading Crichton's book right now. The really interesting thing is that "Eaters of the Dead" is a summation of the actual writings of the 10th century Muslim scholar Ahmad Ibn Fadlan, who actually traveled with the "Northmen" and participated in the events shown in the film. <P>The "Beowulf" theory is discussed in the book, (The leader of the warriors is named "Buliwyf"), and since Tolkien wrote one of the definitive essays on "Beowulf", I can only think that he was at least familiar with Ibn Fadlan's writings, which have been studied and discussed by Eastern and Western scholars for many, many years. <P>Ibn Fadlan was, to say the least, not really impressed with the hygiene or social customs of the Northmen, (of which the washing scene is but a mild example. There's plenty worse in the book), but he came to admire their courage and the attitude with which they faced death and hardship.<P>Then "neanderthal" theory is not addressed in the film or book, but it is an interesting one. I was not sure myself just what people the "Wendol" were suppose to be, (I thought maybe Scynthians).<P>Funny thing: this thread started as a joke, as the characters in the film "The 13th Warrior" look, and wear the same outer trappings as the Men portrayed in "Lord of the Rings", but their behavior is so outlandish and crude compared to the fairly "civilized" behavior of Aragorn and Boromir.<P>But now it has taken a more interesting turn. I suppose Tolkien is guilty of the same thing as every other teller of tales is. Never let the Facts get in the way of the Truth.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote