View Single Post
Old 05-18-2004, 10:29 PM   #79
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield

Quote:
I was already in love with my characters, so I couldn't just throw them away.

I set the whole thing aside for about two weeks. I was outside running, (after a cow no less. Ah, the joys of agriculture) and it hit me. I knew who, where, what and when. It all fell into place. I learned a lot about my characters in that flash. A hidden past, a hidden talent, a few new gifts... it really was magic.
Indeed, I truly know what you mean. I too have fallen into ruts with characters that I love, and would never throw away, they have too much to them, too much work put into their past. Aand then suddenly it came to me. I know my character for who THEY are, and not the people that they are based on. Suddenly, they had a past, and a future.

A hidden past began to grow up, and suddenly there was such a difference... suddenly the characters had something to them. A girl from earlier, suddenly she was known as the heir to the throne cougharagroncough. Suddenly, a half-elf became known to who he really was... They fell into place. An Agent... suddenly he was known as the Emperor, explaining sooo much of the plot. It was like magic, as suddenly the worlds began to show themselves, and create an actual world to them. And all it took was setting the story aside for a while... now I'm rewriting it, and the characters actually are characters. I'm writting a sequel for the story that explains so much of the plot.

I have never finished half my stories... to be exact, I have two finished ones... not to count my short short stories. But these were just fanfictions. I have yet to complete my fiction based tales, and I will too! When characters grow so easily, they cannot be easily lost again. Especially when they are not Mary-Sues, but actual people.

All characters have something to them, it just takes time for them to show through. But someday they will, so never give up on them. I'm glad that I never trashed mine... they are actually going somewhere... as soon as I got the idea for magic based technology, I knew I had something, and had to rewrite so much of it, but the work is worth it... this story has a chance at survival.

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote