View Single Post
Old 03-06-2006, 07:41 PM   #114
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pada, Muna, and Wenda watched and listened to Mara and Greenbeard talk. Wenda felt safe. Safe like she had not felt since that fateful day far to the north when she had chased the wolves away from the tusker. She was not sure that Greenbeard could stand against such a foe as the wraith that followed them, but somehow it did not matter so much.

"Hoom now," Greenbeard said, "the safest place I know of, hoom hom." His eyes seemed to twinkle as if with light reflecting upon two pools of water. "Why, the safest place is Fir Hill, my home. It is not far from here. Would you like to go there?"

"Master Greenbeard," Mara said, holding her head, "your legs are long and mine are short. How far is not far?"

"Hoom now! That is a good question! It is one thousand Ent strides, not for at all. But for you, room toom, it might be a long way."

Mara sagged and winced. She was quite tired, and the pain in her head did not lessen. "I think it would take me all night."

"Hoom hom roomba hom! That will not do. Wenda and her friends can keep up well enough. Maybe it would be best if I carry you. What do you think of that?"