View Single Post
Old 05-24-2009, 10:45 AM   #82
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulumuri View Post
In that case, "couldn't care less" might have been a better choice of words.

Sorry, but that phrase is a pet peeve of mine.
Actually, it may be a pet peeve of yours, but it is idiomatically acceptable. The OED states:

I, etc.) could care less is a "colloq. phr." -- but so is (I, etc.) couldn't care less. The only difference is that (I, etc.) could care less is a "U.S. colloq. phr."

It is an Americanized colloqualism of the original English term, and is considered more sarcastic than the orginal phrase. It is accepted in a journalistic sense and has been used in print by many news organizations. For your edification, you can Google 'could care less vs couldn't care less', and find 14,000,000 entries, both pro and con, for the Anglicized or Americanized version.

Yes, the debate rages on, but I could care less.

Last edited by Morthoron; 05-24-2009 at 10:49 AM.