View Single Post
Old 10-02-2002, 02:00 PM   #112
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

***** DALE - Jarl *****

Jarl glanced up in surprise at the comment on the oliphaunt. He took in more closely the face of the man now seated across from him at the pool's edge. A memory nagged at the edges of his mind, and he smiled broadly as it came flooding back. 'Ah! Yes! The unfortunate incident of the Mumak and the chickens!' Jarl laughed, and extended his hand to the man. 'Gramil, is it not?'

The two stood, and shook hands as was the custom among the Men of Dale. 'Your knowledge of our language has improved since last we met.' said Gramil, seating himself once more. 'Though your accent and your paleness still mark you as a foreigner.' Jarl grinned, and sat down. 'Yes, well, the pallor is something I can do nothing about. But I must tell you that my skills in riding have improved somewhat, though I did decide that owning an oliphaunt would be more effort and expense than I would care to afford.' He smiled again at a further memory. 'And, by the way, I did pay, and handsomely, to unruffle the feathers of those chicken's owners! Best not to aggravate the tradesmen at any level is one of my mottos.'

He was enjoying his game of 'Guess the Guest' with Gramil. What an interesting mind, this one has! Unlike the many guests he had met and moved through this evening. He shuddered slightly at his encounter with the Lady Ivrel. He had had the definite sensation of being a tasty bug about to be caught in her web as she eyed him. Coming closer, she had sought to draw him into conversation about the possibilities of securing exclusive trading rights with Dale for her line of exotic merchandise. She would not be put off with his request that she draw up a proposal for him to present the the King - she was too aware that he carried the King's approval to initiate and close trading agreements as he saw fit for Dale. It was only when one of her attendants took her away, saying there was a certain matter which required her urgent attention, that he escaped her.

Now Gramil had received some urgent message also, and looked as if he would also be called away. Jarl stood. He looked about the garden as the servant spoke with Gramil. Perhaps I might find an exit from here. He did not relish the idea of making his way through the party to leave. He caught Gramil's eye as the servant spoke with him, then waved a farewell and strode off toward a likely looking corner of the garden for a gate.

[ October 03, 2002: Message edited by: piosenniel ]