View Single Post
Old 07-15-2016, 07:50 PM   #12
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots I am a silly silly dwarf

Quote:
Originally Posted by me
I will find it and post the relevant contents this evening.
I thought the reference was in The Peoples of Middle-earth and spent quite a lot of time trying to find it, sudden inspiration struck that it might be in the Letters and my questing was rewarded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Letter 244
A Numenorean King was monarch, with the power of unquestioned decision in debate; but he governed the realm with the frame of ancient law, of which he was administrator (and interpreter) but not the maker. In all debatable matters of importance domestic, or external, however, even Denethor had a Council, and at least listened to what the Lords of the Fiefs and the Captains of the Forces had to say.
So the Kings of Gondor ruled by virtue of and through ancient custom that enabled and also bound the King within certain limits, much like the kings of the Dark Age in the Western World on Earth, which is not surprising given that was Tolkien's inspiration.

I am currently thumbing through the first couple chapters where Aragorn appears of Fellowship just to see if there are any noteworthy moments of "claiming" that happen in these chapters. I don't think that there will be much useful for this topic in these chapters.