View Single Post
Old 03-16-2003, 04:33 PM   #207
Orual
Speaker of the Dead

Orual has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sam spent a little while visiting with Belle and helping her catch up on everything that had happened after she was injured--she still couldn't carry things, or write. She had been most envious of their adventures, but Sam made such a business out of the story of the bandits that in the end, Belle was almost glad that she'd broken her arm.

After the story was finished and he made sure that Belle had more company, he went over to the table and took a tart, watching Elanor and Frodo. Frodo had already talked to him, and Sam had given him a full account of the bandits, and then a solemn promise never to do anything like it again.

Once Frodo left, Elanor went up to Sam. They spoke for a little while, and then Elanor threw Sam off his balance with the simple invitation, "Anyhow, what say you to a little dancing?"

Sam was stunned. "Well, I, uh," he stammered. Girls! How could he be expected to deal with girls on a day like this? But Elanor was watching him, waiting, and he couldn't be rude. "Sure, Elanor," he said finally, "that'd be great."

So he took her by the hand and they went into the middle of the room with the other dancers, and they danced.