View Single Post
Old 02-13-2005, 09:23 AM   #21
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Boots

Quote:
The only recorded persons who successfully countered elephants in battles were Alexander and Scipio Africanus.
I fear you must expand your list to include Julius Caesar and most of the Hellensitic monarchs. (By Hannibal's day the Macedonian-Greek generals were coming to the conclusion that they ate too much, were too expensive to acquire, and did too little to justify their keep. Note that at Cynoscephale it was the Romans and not the Macedonians who used the elephants to great effect).

At Thapsus, Caesar gave an army with elephants such a through kickin' (mainly because the elephants charged in the wrong direction i.e. backwards) that it routed his enemies. That was the last time they were used in European warfare that I recall.

Quote:
Horses are terrified of elephants. So the part where highly skilled Rohirrim horsemen darted between the legs of the mumakil would not have worked.
Amen!

Quote:
Then again, I doubt that in this newtonian world, the mumak's legs would have been strong enough to support it's body without snapping. Ditto for the internal organs which would be crushed by the beast's bulk.
To say nothing about finding enough food.