View Single Post
Old 09-24-2006, 03:31 PM   #19
Elros

Quote:
Originally Posted by davem
This was my immediate thought, but all the statements I've seen so far state that it is all JRRT's work, in his own words.

Perhaps we should take the 320 pages with a pinch of salt. That said, in the Alan Lee illustrated Hobbit there are both colour plates & pencil illustrations on many of the pages, so its possible that we won't get any more material than you mention, but quite a bit of Alan Lee in there...
I am a recent addition to the Barrow Downs, but this thread caught my attention. I have read and thoroughly enjoyed The Silmarillion and have read the Unfinished Tales, and one thing I hold against Christopher Tolkien is that I doubt he is doing what his father would have wished.

I do feel that the books that have been released due to Christopher's "assistance" have added to the Middle Earth that many readers find themselves in, but one does wonder if the Creator himself would have approved of these works being put together and published. What if these were meant to remain private?

I look forward to the release, but like some of the posthumous Ernest Hemingway novels, one must wonder what the author would think.