View Single Post
Old 01-25-2012, 06:44 AM   #85
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Let me also welcome you to the Downs, Landroval.

I still think this theory is incorrect. There's been so much said of this already, but let's look at the descriptions of the Silmarils and the Arkenstone.

Quote:
Like the crystal of diamonds [a Silmaril] appeared, and yet was more strong than adamant, so that no violence could mar it or break it within the Kingdom of Arda.
The Silmarillion Of the Simarils (emphasis mine)

Quote:
The great jewel shone before [Bilbo's] feet of its own inner light, and yet, cut and fashioned by the dwarves, who had dug it from the heart of the mountain long ago, it took all light that fell upon it, and changed it into ten thousand sparks of white radiance shot with glints of the rainbow.
The Hobbit Not At Home (emphasis mine)

Note that the Silmarils could not been "marred". I would think "marring" would be read for any sort of alteration to the gem. Since the Dwarves did accomplish that with the Arkenstone, it cannot be a Silmaril.