View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
I was diligently rereading yesterday and the thing that struck me more than anything else was Christopher Tolkien's editorial hand. To be clear, I don't mean this in a bad way; I simply mean that, more so than "Of Tuor" and the Narn, this tale needed editing to be presentable, and we're able to see it here.

The reason this fascinates me is because Christopher Tolkien takes quite a different tack in Unfinished Tales than he will later in the HoME. In the second "half" of "Aldarion and Erendis," after the completed narrative has ended, his account of where the story could have gone, based on his father's notes, is a lot more "in-world" voice. I enjoyed this approach, but it is a lot closer to his father's Appendices than his own work later. If "Aldarion and Erendis" had appeared in the HoME, we wouldn't have had a narrative account of where the story would have gone; we would probably have been given each of the outlines (barring any substantial repetitions) with some clearly distinguished commentary.

While the latter is more useful, perhaps, to scholars, I'm not sure which approach I actually prefer...

EDIT: Since the ball still seems to be in my corner, I'll add the other thoughts that occurred to me since the above: Time. Years are frittered away willy-nilly in "Aldarion and Erendis." Part of this is due, no doubt, to the "annalistic" style out of which it was composed (cf. Christopher Tolkien's introduction to Unfinished Tales, if I remember the place right), and it is no doubt worth considering that Tolkien had to move things along YEARS at a time, simply to accommodate the 400 years of Tar-Aldarion's life, which were already established in the LotR Appendices. Obviously, if the action of a normal human lifetime were accomplished in the normal number of human years, the story would be over before Aldarion was even proclaimed King's Heir. Nonetheless, the references to "normal" timeframes for the Númenóreans is fascinating: King's Heir at 100, 3 years for a betrothal, majority at 25. These are the sorts of logistical things that come up when you invent a race of people who live a few times longer than normal humans and it's interesting to watch Tolkien work at some of it in the course of the text.

The other thing that occurred to me is nomenclature--an always important thing for Tolkien scholars to take note of. Meneldur, Aldarion, and Ancalimë all become "the King's Heir of Númenor." Although I think the word prince/princess is used in the text (I am most dangerously not referring to it as I add this edit), I believe it is used more as a descriptor than as a title. Certainly, there is no "Crown Prince" of Númenor. This is interesting, because there ARE princes in the later Númenórean realms of Gondor and Arnor, all of whom are Princes-regnant: Prince of Dol-Amroth, Prince of Cardolan, Prince of Ithilien. Tolkien seems to shy away from the use of "prince" to denote the sons of princes (the sense in which "prince" is used of any monarch).

On similar lines, what is the precise status of the "Lords" of Andúnië? Or of the other preeminent descendents of Elros, such as Hallatan of Hyarnastorni? Tolkien never uses "duke" or "earl" or "baron" in Middle-earth--well, earl comes closes with "Eorl" (a proper name, mind you), but he is of Rohan, not Gondor. All we have are lords. Obviously, Númenor is not feudal--does this nomenclature simply reflect that?

Last edited by Formendacil; 02-13-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Thought of things to add...
Formendacil is offline   Reply With Quote