View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 12:39 PM   #9
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Though tragedies are usually just too sad for me to read, I have become fond of this story. Aldarion and Erendis seem very much alive and "real" for me!

The story of their relationship in its "other time" setting, contains much timeless truth. And here again we find many poignant quotes and applicable wise sayings, coming from both sides of the conflict.

Same as Thinlómien said, in the beginning my sympathies are more on Erendis's side, but towards the end more on Aldarion's.

It also struck me, like Formendacil said, how much time was “frittered away” because of the longevity of the Númenoreans . All those years that Erendis spent waiting for Aldarion to make up his mind, and when he finally wooed her in earnest, she “held back nigh twelve years”! She had a lot of patience and forgave him many times, but how could she believe he would stop voyaging after they were married? I think those two were just too different from each other, had hardly any common interests and failed to make compromises. Though they were in love they did not really understand each other.

I cannot relate to Erendis anymore in the end, how she retreated completely from society, and hated not only her husband but all men (why?) and what is worse, how she isolated her child from all normal company and taught her to despise men. (Though that example of her teaching that is preserved has a lot of insight!)

My favourite character in this story however, is king Meneldur! I can relate very much to his conflict after reading Gil-Galad’s letter.
"When either way may lead to evil, of what worth is choice?"

And I was so thrilled when I first saw Gil-Galads letter! Up to now he had only been the mythic Elven King "of whom the harpers sadly sing" – and here we get to read a letter from him! Such a pity there was not more about him!

I see the birds that were given by the Elves of Eressea as a symbol of conjugal love.

I also think that the different attitudes of Men and Elves towards the tree that the Elves gave at the wedding are typical! Aldarion said "The wood of such a tree must be precious." And the Elves answered "Maybe, we know not. None has ever been hewn. It bears cool leaves in summer and lowers in winter. It is for this that we prize it."
Quote:
Originally posted by Thinlomien:
As a woman who loves the sea, I find it annoying most of the women hate or dislike it, or at best they have no feelings towards it.
We know only about Erendis and queen Almarian. Were there any others mentioned?

As far as I recall, in medeaval times, sailing was an exclusively male domain. Were there any woman actively sailing in medeaval times ? I can only recall male Vikings for example.

Quote:
Originally posted by Galadriel55
"Erendis threw herself into the Sea (right?)"
That’s not exactly what was stated. In old age she longed once more for Aldarion and went incognito to Rómenna to seek him.
"There, it seems, she met her fate; but only the words "Erendis perished in water in the year 985" remain to suggest how it came to pass."

Btw I just remembered a statement that Philip Pullman made some years ago (and that enraged me)
Quote:
“Tolkien is not interested in the way grownup, adult human beings interact with each other. He’s interested in maps and plans and languages and codes.”
If Pullman had read "Aldarion and Erendis" he would have had to revise this opinion!!