View Single Post
Old 10-26-2013, 08:43 AM   #11
Belegorn
Shade of Carn Dûm

Belegorn has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowdog View Post
There was a thought expressed that The White Lady of Emerie was possibly a lesbian and enjoyed the company of women in her house.
She did say to him he had been neglecting their bed, and he said in reply that he had the feeling she did not want him there [UT, p. 201]. I'm not sure if that necessarily implies her having a thing for women because it seems she did want to be with him and hoped that because they did not have a son he'd stay with her longer.

I do think she was a bit unfair and created a bad situation for herself. Aldarion did try to compromise with her and told her that she could live with him on the ship and they could go to lands where there were great forests. She would have none of it and rejected the sea. Although he kept breaking promises, staying away longer than promised like when after they had their daughter. She tried to keep him from what he loved to do, he was willing to make some compromise but she was like only the trees on Númenor were good enough for her.

I'm not sure if Aldarion had much time for women. He knew Erendis for 70 years before they even got together and her beauty is described as "a kind seldom seen in Númenor" [p. 185]. I think he did a lot of exploring while away, sometimes getting caught up in bad weather, and at times working with Gil-galad or building ties with him. Maybe a stronger case could be made for Aldarion's homo-sexuality, but I do think they were both straight and that he was not a slave of the desires of his 2nd head as men are in our world. He was held in esteem by Gil-galad and where his father felt overwhelmed by the news he received from the Elven-king this was not the case with Aldarion and his father felt he had to give the Kingship to him for this reason.

I think the relationship was forced. Aldarion felt the weight of the ball and chain of marriage. He did not really want that. They liked each other to be sure, but marriage was not the best thing for them, especially with Aldarion's mood and her own uncompromising one. I'd say if you want to blame anyone for the whole situation blame his grandfather Vëantur, hahaha