View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 09:59 PM   #111
Zigūr
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Zigūr is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post
Finally- I haven't read "The Hobbit" for quite a while, but is all that about the Arkenstone "bestowing the divine right to rule" actually in it? I thought it was just a movie thing.
It's definitely just a film thing. In the book the Arkenstone is a beautiful gem, but nothing more.

Personally I don't think Professor Tolkien would ever use such a hackneyed phrase, nor does it remotely fit with his own ethos. It's pretty lazy writing on the part of the filmmakers looking for a cheap MacGuffin, I would argue - a cliché that doesn't even fit because in the films (much like the non-Silmarillion books, really) there's no explicitly-defined concept of God or the divine, especially among Dwarves, which renders the phrase virtually nonsensical. Surely the only person who really has a 'divine right to rule' in the books would be Manwė. Thorin can't just be after the stone because he's greedy, because that wouldn't fit with their profitable, cliché tragic hero motivation.

I digress.

In regards to all this Silmaril-Arkenstone business, don't we have enough evidence to perceive that the Dwarves were sufficiently mighty craftsmen to be able to unearth and shape such a stone themselves? It's not like the Noldor had a monopoly on beautiful and precious things in Arda.