View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 06:17 PM   #113
Devium
Newly Deceased

Devium has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerwen View Post

Unless I've skipped over something, two people made the first claim and one person the second; both statements were contradicted by other posters. So I wouldn't say that's "many". Anyway, the problem with the "Arkensil" case is that it uses vulcanism as a sort of "handwave" to explain away all the discrepancies between Arkenstone and Silmaril ("it floated all the way from Beleriand", "they weren't really cutting it, they were scraping off the crust" etc). Meanwhile, of course, it completely ignores the rather greater probability of the jewel having formed in said volcano naturally.
I had read the many (many) posts on the subject in this thread, however, one poster would try say "yes, volcanos can be conical" and then another poster would rebut with "no, what about this example" and point to a shield volcano. I had not read anyone definitively state why certain volcanos could be conical an some wouldn't be. I do agree with the second part of your statement though in that it is far more likely to have formed in the volcano than it is that a Silmaril made its way thousands of miles using only the geologic cycle. However, two unanswered issues do arise:

1. It is never stated which fiery chasm Maedhros jumped into. It could have been in Beleriand or it could have been further east.
2. What process would cause a singular, unique gem to form with its own inner light in the magma chamber of a volcano? Just about every other artifact in Tolkien's universe was crafted by supreme skill or sorcery.

Quote:
Which brings me to your theory (yes I realise you're not serious, but let's pretend). Now, it does avoid the "Arkensil" problem of *distance*, but still requires that the dwarves, despite being master craftsmen, be unable to recognise a cut stone when they see one. Which I just don't think will *do*, sorry.
I feel odd arguing for my comical, hair brained theory, but here we go
If the Arkenstone is an early attempt by Fëanor that was tossed out, specifically one that wasn't quite indestructible, once the dwarves found it, they could just cut it to whatever shape they desired whether it was previously cut or not. So there ya go.

Quote:
Finally- I haven't read "The Hobbit" for quite a while, but is all that about the Arkenstone "bestowing the divine right to rule" actually in it? I thought it was just a movie thing.
I apologize. I may have pulled the "divine right" phrase from the movies which I didn't mean to. However, if I'm not mistaken, Thorin has claim to it as the king in the line of Durin. The Arkenstone is an heirloom of the ruling line of Durin's Folk. So naturally, whomever dwarf possesses it is the King of Durin's folk. That's more what I meant. Sorry for the confusion.

As an aside, it sure seems like PJ is building the Arkenstone up to be a Silmaril based on comments made by Thranduil thus far in the first two movies...

Last edited by Devium; 09-02-2014 at 08:51 PM.
Devium is offline   Reply With Quote