View Single Post
Old 09-05-2014, 04:25 AM   #115
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devium View Post
I had read the many (many) posts on the subject in this thread, however, one poster would try say "yes, volcanos can be conical" and then another poster would rebut with "no, what about this example" and point to a shield volcano. I had not read anyone definitively state why certain volcanos could be conical an some wouldn't be. I do agree with the second part of your statement though in that it is far more likely to have formed in the volcano than it is that a Silmaril made its way thousands of miles using only the geologic cycle. However, two unanswered issues do arise:

1. It is never stated which fiery chasm Maedhros jumped into. It could have been in Beleriand or it could have been further east.
Well, that brings the distance problem back in. Not as badly as the supposition that the thing somehow floated all the way by itself, but you think it would have been mentioned that Maedhros had chosen to go on such an extremely long trek prior to doing away with himself… I know! Maybe the Silmaril fell out of his pocket and was scooped up by an eagle. The bird of course intended to take it back to Valinor, but, overcome by lust for the jewel, flew off with it in the opposite direction– only to have the hallowed crystal burn its now-unclean talons, forcing it to drop it into the crater of the then-active Erebor. (The eagle, not daring to show its beak in Aman and, went off to skulk in some mountains somewhere and possibly became the progenitor of the Fell Beasts.) There! Problem solved!

Quote:
2. What process would cause a singular, unique gem to form with its own inner light in the magma chamber of a volcano? Just about every other artifact in Tolkien's universe was crafted by supreme skill or sorcery.
I double-checked this, and the book is quite clear that the Arkenstone was *fashioned* by the dwarves. i.e. is a product of craft – it’s only on this thread that people seem to have decided they found it basically “as is”. Nonetheless the description does leave it open that its glowing is an inherent property of the stone itself (i.e. rather than the result of dwarven magic). However, I don’t see why that can’t be a freak of nature– after all Middle-earth possesses a metal, mithril, with special properties.
Quote:
I feel odd arguing for my comical, hair brained theory, but here we go
If the Arkenstone is an early attempt by Fëanor that was tossed out, specifically one that wasn't quite indestructible, once the dwarves found it, they could just cut it to whatever shape they desired whether it was previously cut or not. So there ya go.
Ah, but my point is that they would know whether it was previously cut or not– again, these are supposed to be skilled craftsmen.

Quote:
As an aside, it sure seems like PJ is building the Arkenstone up to be a Silmaril based on comments made by Thranduil thus far in the first two movies...
You may be right there. At any rate it’s certainly a bigger deal than it is in the book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tar-Jêx View Post
I agree with the notion that if Tolkien had the chance to revise the Hobbit, he would potentially have more hints and inferences that the Arkenstone may be a Silmaril, or another stone of similar sort.
But he had decades in which to do so and didn’t…