View Single Post
Old 10-10-2002, 09:47 PM   #20
Tirned Tinnu
Wight

Tirned Tinnu has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

WOW. Fantastic info abounds in this thread! <BR>I shall add something not truly related to Vikings or Norsemen, but might be added as a possibility. <BR>In studying the early Celtic society I have found references to bathing habits: <BR>They bathed usually once a day, after the evening meal, used soap, studiously cleaned under the nails, and combed out their hair carefully. <BR>Washing the hands and face in the morning with clean water was essential, as well as combing the hair and braiding it. <BR>Nails were cleaned regularly, and it was a sign of good breeding to have them looking trimmed and neat. Certainly the Vikings had similar bathing habits. I myself do the same today- the only difference is chlorinated flourinated softened water - which also might be a reason not to bath terribly often, hard water is HARD on the skin. Couple that with lye-soap, ouch! Moisterizers such as oil and lanolin would have been applied with regularity to battle the drying effects of such water. <P>I have also found references to traditions of rising early enough to wash one's face with the morning dew - this was supposed to make a woman's face more beautiful, and youthful. It's also rather handy! I can see myself rising yawning from my tent as I have done countless times in the past and using nice clean dew from the very tips of the green grass to wake up with a jolt. It firms the skin, let me tell you! (Just make sure you don't dip into the dew too forcefully, or you'll be washing with worm droppings...*chuckle* <P>I think that in Tolkien's world both Elves and Men would have learned the virtues of regular bathing, and the use of plants as wormers and de-fleaing powders. Lice mught not be a problem if the same were applied. Take for instance the American Indian, who you did not see trotting around flea-ridden or lice-ridden. They knew how to treat these problems quite quickly and efficiently with plant extracts. (If not a bit forcfully - some of their concoctions work too well, and must be applied with care.) Additionally, all the de-fleaing stuff we use today comes from plant extracts. <P>The combs of the ancient Celts and Vikings were fine and ready to d-lice or de-flea at a moments notice. Certainly if you care for yourself once a day the problem of battling bugs would not be terribly annoying thing. <BR>Worse off were those having to battle bed-bugs... now that would tick me off. But that too can be handled by using fresh bedding. <BR>has anyone slept on a horsehair mattress? It seems a bit stiff at first, but darn, your back feels great after a snooze on one. I think the Rohanish would have used them!