View Single Post
Old 11-15-2003, 07:32 PM   #52
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Lost one posted:
Quote:
Re-reading his {aragorn's} tense and rather aggressive first encounter with the hobbits with the information provided by the Appendices that he was lately from his mother's deathbed provides an undercurrent that is 'character'-driven rather than an aspect of the story
Very interesting, I had never caught that exact chronology before, did you peice it together yourself, or is there more source for it than the Appendix Tale of A & A?

But this is the very sort of thing [along with my Legolas example above, I think] that allows us to experience depth in the Legendarium.

Another fascinating example of character depth, perhaps even his most vivid is the last major narrative of the Silm saga to be worked on,
The Wanderings of Hurin, in The War of the Jewels.

Lush, perhaps we would disagree for eternity, but I do hope we can revisit this very thread in a decade or 2 [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] .

-L
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote