Thread: Accent problem
View Single Post
Old 06-13-2003, 11:14 PM   #34
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I suppose I've never really studied the various accents, but I can see what you all refer to. I have only seen TTT one time, so I can't actually remember what Faramir sounds like. Boromir, however, is crystal clear! So that's Yorkshire? Speaking of accents, how do you like Celeborn's (Martin Csokas) accent? That's got to be his real accent, since he also talks like that as Xena's ex-boyfriend Borias...(I love to call Celeborn that, just to be ridiculous!). And Karl Urban does a great American accent in Xena as Julius Caesar...and yet he is a New Zealander! I am always surprised by individual accents/dialects. <P>There are interesting pockets of dialect variation here in the US as well. There is one area of Birmingham, Alabama where everyone sounds like he or she is from California. Drive a few miles south to Sylacauga, Alabama however, and you've got the birthplace of Jim Nabors (surprize surprize surprize! It's Gomer Pyle! The most stereotypical of US Southern accents imaginable!). And forget about pegging a Florida accent! Half are from New York or Canada and the other half are from a Spanish speaking country! (I get to say this, being a native Floridian, lapsed!)<P>All that aside, I did notice, in retrospect, that Sean Astin drops his accent now and then. But for some reason, it does not jar me as others have done in the past (Keanu Reeves has to do the worst "English" accent I've ever heard!). Sean's English and American sounds blend together well and it does not sound like he is "putting it on" at a particular time. Same with Elijah Wood. And I too thought the strange Viggo accent was Danish. I tend to become hypnotized by Viggo's voice, however, and I don't think I can be objective about it! <P>Well, that's all I can think of to say about that! Interesting discussion! <P>Cheers,<BR>Lyta (who is always asked, no matter where she goes, "You ain't from around here, are you?")
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote