View Single Post
Old 09-02-2002, 11:12 AM   #9
Shadowstrife911
Animated Skeleton

Shadowstrife911 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Shadowstrife911
Sting

Quote:
We are the servants of Saruman the Wise, the White Hand: the Hand that gives us man's-flesh to eat.
Perhaps Tolkien had another motive in mind when turning Wormtongue into a cannibal. Saruman first accuses Wormtongue of feasting on the remains of Lotho, if this was meant as an insult or truth I do not know. But it is ironic how in the end the White Hand (the hand that feeds them) is eaten by his pet, Grima, a man who he treated very badly.

Quote:
Wormtongue halted and looked back at him, half prepared to stay. Saruman turned. "No evil?" he cackled. "Oh no! Even when he sneaks out at night it is only to look at the stars. But did I hear someone ask where poor Lotho is hiding? You know, don't you, Worm? Will you tell them?"
Wormtongue cowered down and whimpered: "No, no!"

"Then I will," said Saruman. "Worm killed your Chief, poor little fellow, your nice little Boss. Didn't you, Worm? Stabbed him in his sleep, I believe. Buried him, I hope; though Worm has been very hungry lately. No, Worm is not really nice. You had better leave him to me."
Although this may sound mean, I believe the way Wormtongue killed Saruman was to add to the cruelty of the White Hand. After all his chances to redeem himself, Saruman kept refusing and in the end it was one of his servants, not an Uruk but a man - someone with concious who finally decided that Saruman was beyond help.

If you add up the parts, you can clearly see a Christian theme that is potrayed (intentional or not) - Saruman was given a chance to be forgiven but he refused and he suffered the consequences of his actions. The irony is that it wasn't one of the 'Good Guys' who finished him off, but one of his own servants and one with free-will at that.

[ September 02, 2002: Message edited by: Shadowstrife911 ]