View Single Post
Old 08-19-2003, 03:47 PM   #153
Nurumaiel
Vice of Twilight

Nurumaiel has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

Adrama felt her eyes narrowing as she listened to the conversation. And suddenly she felt very frightened, too. She didn’t know why, but Tessa was frightening her. And because she didn’t know why, it frightened her even more. She moved closer to her mother, touching her arm and then feeling reassured. Fear turned into anger towards Tessa. Adrama was a very sharp young woman, and she could sense that Tessa and the others were secretly laughing at her mother.

And then when Tessa had tried to frighten her… Adrama wondered why she had acted so afraid moments before. What did she care if Tessa found out how much her sister was hated? Adrama suddenly had a good mind to tell Tessa exactly what she thought of Finduilas, but her mother’s presence kept her from it. Annoyed, Adrama bit her lip, but she had to admit that would be ruining her reputation.

I wish Mother had never thought up this tea party, Adrama thought, trying to keep her anger from showing. Or if she had, I wish she hadn’t invited such utter fools. And I’m not going to stand for all this attacking on my mother. Stiffening her back, she opened her mouth to say, “And I, Lady Tessa, never thought that such high and noble people like yourselves would immerse yourselves in such spitefulness.” However, before the words could leave her mouth, she saw Tessa looking at her, and her mouth closed. Tessa looked almost friendly. Almost.

Inquiring looks from the other ladies were shot towards Adrama. They had seen that she was going to say something, and they didn’t want her to refrain from it. With some confusion, she covered herself by saying a few sentences about Elena. “Yes,” Tessa said in reply to that. “We can’t choose our families, can we?”

Normally Adrama would have answered comments like that with silent agreement, but the thought came into her mind that Tessa’s comment was directed towards her. On a sudden impulse, she spoke. “That is true,” she said. “But I love my family, I’m proud of them, and in this case I had no need to choose them. I doubt if I could have chosen such a wonderful family.” She took her mother’s hand and squeezed it, smiling up at the shocked yet still pleased face. What did it matter if her mother thought it inappropriate to say such a thing in front of company? Let the whole of Gondor hear it… it was true.

[ August 21, 2003: Message edited by: Nurumaiel ]